Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Israel-Palestine Drama Thread

Post by kalm »

dal4018 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:25 am
kalm wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:29 am

That’s why I criticized leadership on BOTH sides. I’m not an expert on this but don’t Jews also have a historical connection to the land? And there’s certainly more than just Ashkenazi Jews there.
They were in Germany and they were not thinking about anything in Palestine.The 3 Us(USA,USSR,UK)made it possible for Israel to exist. That is the equivalent of me removing you from your house and allowing PUTIN to move in.
So not all Jews have a historical connection to the land? Is it the same for all Muslims?
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:10 am

They were in Germany and they were not thinking about anything in Palestine.The 3 Us(USA,USSR,UK)made it possible for Israel to exist. That is the equivalent of me removing you from your house and allowing PUTIN to move in.
So not all Jews have a historical connection to the land? Is it the same for all Muslims?
Muslims are not going around saying that they own a particular place like Jews are and no one placed them on a different piece of land.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

dal4018 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:06 am
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:10 am

Muslims are not going around saying that they own a particular place like Jews are and no one placed them on a different piece of land.
I get the history Dal. There is shitty behavior and suffering on all sides of this.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dal4018 wrote:
kalm wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:10 am So not all Jews have a historical connection to the land? Is it the same for all Muslims?
Aren’t the Palestinians saying they own the land? Who states “from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free”? There is just as much blood on Palestinian hands as there is Israeli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:29 am

That’s why I criticized leadership on BOTH sides. I’m not an expert on this but don’t Jews also have a historical connection to the land? And there’s certainly more than just Ashkenazi Jews there.
Does Israel have a right to exist?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:10 am

I get the history Dal. There is shitty behavior and suffering on all sides of this.
Holy fucking shit. And you comment on Ukraine. Christ.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

A lot of big $$ pushback against the pro Palestine/Hamas at the ‘elite’ colleges and universities..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Senator-turned-university-president disses fellow educators for silence\
“You got so many universities around the country [who] speak about every topic under the sun, Halloween costumes and microaggressions. But somehow in a moment of the most grave grotesque attacks on Jewish people since the Holocaust, they all of a sudden say there’s too much complexity to say anything,” the former Republican senator said during an interview on “Fox News Sunday.”

In Sasse’s own statement, addressed to Jewish students and alumni at the University of Florida, he forcefully condemned the Oct. 7 Hamas attack and slammed those in “elite academia” inadvertently or explicitly expressing support for Hamas. Sasse also promised to “protect our students” in the event it becomes the site of any “anti-Israel” protests.
Once again Ben Sasse is the adult in the room.

You can have compassion for the plight of the Palestinian people but I don't think you can justify or defend Hamas.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:49 am Senator-turned-university-president disses fellow educators for silence\
“You got so many universities around the country [who] speak about every topic under the sun, Halloween costumes and microaggressions. But somehow in a moment of the most grave grotesque attacks on Jewish people since the Holocaust, they all of a sudden say there’s too much complexity to say anything,” the former Republican senator said during an interview on “Fox News Sunday.”

In Sasse’s own statement, addressed to Jewish students and alumni at the University of Florida, he forcefully condemned the Oct. 7 Hamas attack and slammed those in “elite academia” inadvertently or explicitly expressing support for Hamas. Sasse also promised to “protect our students” in the event it becomes the site of any “anti-Israel” protests.

You can have compassion for the plight of the Palestinian people but I don't think you can justify or defend Hamas.
It is possible to condemn Hamas and those who support it, be in favor of better conditions for the Palestinian people, and to both support Israel's right to exist and defend itself while also criticizing it for how it handles the Palestinian neighbors. Very few things in this word are strictly black and white, and Israel and the Mideast is surely not one of them.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

That is my point it all started out with Israel causing the problems in the '40s and everyone sat around and watched it.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:56 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:49 am Senator-turned-university-president disses fellow educators for silence\

It is possible to condemn Hamas and those who support it, be in favor of better conditions for the Palestinian people, and to both support Israel's right to exist and defend itself while also criticizing it for how it handles the Palestinian neighbors. Very few things in this word are strictly black and white, and Israel and the Mideast is surely not one of them.
Hamas is defending itself why is it wrong for these people to defend themselves.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

dal4018 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:17 pm

That is my point it all started out with Israel causing the problems in the '40s and everyone sat around and watched it.
Things were happening well before the 1940's and Israel, which didn't exist before then, was just one of many "causing the problems". It's far more complicated than you're trying to make it out to be. If you just look at the 1940's you miss what was happening under the Ottoman Empire (in which the area of Israel/Palestine existed), you miss the outcome of WWI and the British defeat of the Ottoman Empire in Palestine, and you miss the numerous armed conflicts between Arabs and Jews in that area for much of the 1920's to 1940's. To say that any one side is fully responsible for any of that history is to simply be ignorant of that history.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

dal4018 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:18 pm

Hamas is defending itself why is it wrong for these people to defend themselves.
Since you failed to answer the simple question, I'll ask again.

Does Israel have a right to exist?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Bombing hospitals is not a good look.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Completely agree.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dal4018 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:18 pm
Attempting to incite terror and reprisal by intentionally targeting citizens/families is not defending yourself. Hiding behind your own citizens to stoke outrage is not defending yourself.

I feel for the Palestinian people. They should have a place in this world where they can live in peace and prosperity. I vehemently disagree with any philosophy based on driving the Jewish people out of Palestine/Israel with terrorism and violence.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Question - how are the Jewish people who immigrated to Israel/Palestine from Europe and other places different from the Latinos who have immigrated to the US from Mexico, Central & South America, and the Caribbean?

If people want the Jewish people to leave Israel/Palestine to the Palestinians, where should they go? Many have been there for 80+ years. You have generations who were born and grew up in Israel and have never calling anywhere else home.

How is hating them/expecting them to leave not at least as bad as hating Latinos/wanting the Dreamers to leave?

I'm trying to understand how an illiberal can rationalize the two positions (and kalm I realize that not all lefties feel that way but the ones that do are plenty vocal).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:49 pm Bombing hospitals is not a good look.
Especially if it was Hamas as Israel is now claiming.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:42 pm Question - how are the Jewish people who immigrated to Israel/Palestine from Europe and other places different from the Latinos who have immigrated to the US from Mexico, Central & South America, and the Caribbean?

If people want the Jewish people to leave Israel/Palestine to the Palestinians, where should they go? Many have been there for 80+ years. You have generations who were born and grew up in Israel and have never calling anywhere else home.

How is hating them/expecting them to leave not at least as bad as hating Latinos/wanting the Dreamers to leave?

I'm trying to understand how an illiberal can rationalize the two positions (and kalm I realize that not all lefties feel that way but the ones that do are plenty vocal).
Thanks. I’m in total agreement with you and Ganny here. I too am getting tired of the college campus/far far left bullshit.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:48 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:42 pm Question - how are the Jewish people who immigrated to Israel/Palestine from Europe and other places different from the Latinos who have immigrated to the US from Mexico, Central & South America, and the Caribbean?

Thanks. I’m in total agreement with you and Ganny here. I too am getting tired of the college campus/left bullshit.
FYP

Be careful, you’ll be called a MAGA yahoo soon enough
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:31 pm

Thanks. I’m in total agreement with you and Ganny here. I too am getting tired of the college campus/left bullshit.
FYP

1) You FMP by removing “far far”? You do realize the Dem establishment, including the Whitehouse and congressional leadership, hates the far left as much as the right?

2) Are you MAGA?
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:46 am

FYP

1) You FMP by removing “far far”? You do realize the Dem establishment, including the Whitehouse and congressional leadership, hates the far left as much as the right?

2) Are you MAGA?
Far Far from the truth
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

FYP

It's MAGAt yahoo and you can thank BDKKKaren for the additional of yahoo to the pejorative.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:47 am
kalm wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:46 am

2) Are you MAGA?
Far Far from the truth
Which part?