How many teams will the Big Sky get into the playoffs?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: How many teams will the Big Sky get into the playoffs?

Post by AZGrizFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
GoAgs72 wrote:The problem for the rest of us is that when we're bad, we're bad - when Montana is bad they're still good, maybe not great but at least good.
SOMEBODY gets it. :clap: :clap: :thumb:
Haven't lost more than 4 games in 20 years. I see nothing that makes me think that trend will change any time soon. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
grizfan47
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by grizfan47 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: SOMEBODY gets it. :clap: :clap: :thumb:
Haven't lost more than 4 games in 20 years. I see nothing that makes me think that trend will change any time soon. :coffee:
Absolutly correct. Even with all that has happened I bought two more season tickets to add to the four we already have. Just like stocks, when some are giving up; buy more tickets. We will be in every game and some of them will be dog fights. But this team has a ton of talent and will begin to click about four games into the season. It is going to be fun! :thumb:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: SOMEBODY gets it. :clap: :clap: :thumb:

Dont think it will either, I see the griz losing 4 App, EWU, WSU and MSU and making the playoffs
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pwns wrote:Now that the Big Sky has gone all CAA on us and isn't having a round-robin conference schedule how will that affect how many teams they have with at least 7 DI wins at the end of the season? I'm thinking you will have four teams with a case to get into the playoffs...Griz, Cats, EWU, and SUU.
MSU, Cal Poly and UND
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Pwns wrote:Now that the Big Sky has gone all CAA on us and isn't having a round-robin conference schedule how will that affect how many teams they have with at least 7 DI wins at the end of the season? I'm thinking you will have four teams with a case to get into the playoffs...Griz, Cats, EWU, and SUU.
MSU, Cal Poly and UND
:roll: :dunce:
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Gil Dobie wrote:
MSU, Cal Poly and UND
I can see MSU and even Cal Poly, but just out of curiosity, what makes you think UND will make the playoffs this season? Not a knock on UND, but most media and rankings have them finishing either in the middle or towards the bottom of the conference. Maybe that's not fair considering UND hasn't played a down of football in the Big Sky yet, but I am just wondering how you think UND will finish above both Montana and EWU. I don't see it happening.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

EWURanger wrote:I can see MSU and even Cal Poly, but just out of curiosity, what makes you think UND will make the playoffs this season? Not a knock on UND, but most media and rankings have them finishing either in the middle or towards the bottom of the conference. Maybe that's not fair considering UND hasn't played a down of football in the Big Sky yet, but I am just wondering how you think UND will finish above both Montana and EWU. I don't see it happening.
7-2 vs FCS,EWU could be a 4th team form the Big Sky
Thu, Aug 30 South Dakota Mines Grand Forks, N.D.(W) non-counter
Sat, Sep 08 Portland State Grand Forks, N.D. (W)
Sat, Sep 15 San Diego State at San Diego, Calif. (L)
Sat, Sep 22 Sacramento State * at Sacramento, Calif. (W)
Sat, Sep 29 Cal Poly * Grand Forks, N.D. (W)
Sat, Oct 06 Eastern Washington * (L)
Sat, Oct 13 Northern Arizona * Grand Forks, N.D. (W)
Sat, Oct 20 Montana * Grand Forks, N.D. (W)
Sat, Oct 27 Montana State * at Bozeman, Mont. (L)
Sat, Nov 03 Southern Utah * Grand Forks, N.D. (W)
Sat, Nov 17 Northern Colorado * at Greeley, Colo. (W)

If Montana goes 7-4, and UND is 7-2, who does the playoff committee take? UND with the win over the Griz.
Bison Fan in NW MN
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU
A.K.A.: bisoninnwmn

Post by Bison Fan in NW MN »

Gil Dobie wrote:
EWURanger wrote:I can see MSU and even Cal Poly, but just out of curiosity, what makes you think UND will make the playoffs this season? Not a knock on UND, but most media and rankings have them finishing either in the middle or towards the bottom of the conference. Maybe that's not fair considering UND hasn't played a down of football in the Big Sky yet, but I am just wondering how you think UND will finish above both Montana and EWU. I don't see it happening.

If Montana goes 7-4, and UND is 7-2, who does the playoff committee take? UND with the win over the Griz.

Pretty optimistic with the wins.

IMO: Portland State, Sac State, Cal Poly, UNA, Montana, SUU are toss-up games. That's 6 games that could go either way.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Bison Fan in NW MN wrote: Pretty optimistic with the wins.

IMO: Portland State, Sac State, Cal Poly, UNA, Montana, SUU are toss-up games. That's 6 games that could go either way.
......and if I pick against them they are sure to win. They just have that dumb luck somehow, or just enough to win these games.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

Gil Dobie wrote:

That's a difficult schedule. Both Montana's, EWU, Portland State, Cal Poly...all of which could be playoff caliber teams. Southern Utah will be tough to beat with Sorensen at the helm, as will NAU with Bauman. Agree to disagree I guess, but 7-2 through that schedule would be a very big accomplishment for UND in their first year in the Big Sky.

Remember that the BSC is an extremely pass-happy conference....has UND's secondary improved dramatically since last season? If not, I could see them running into some problems.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Gil Dobie wrote:

Here's a hint: the UND Place Holders aren't going to beat UM, Caly Poly, or SUU. Problem solved.
sioux24/7
I am a fan of: UND
A.K.A.: Sioux

Post by sioux24/7 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Here's a hint: the UND Place Holders aren't going to beat UM, Caly Poly, or SUU. Problem solved.
I don't understand why we can't beat SUU? We beat them last year at their place when we had an inept QB. Now we should have much better QB play (depending on injuries) and it's at the Alerus Center.
Darell1976
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: THE Univ. of North Dakota
A.K.A.: darell1976

Post by Darell1976 »

sioux24/7 wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
I don't understand why we can't beat SUU? We beat them last year at their place when we had an inept QB. Now we should have much better QB play (depending on injuries) and it's at the Alerus Center.
I agree. SUU was riding high going into their game with UND last year. They knocked off UNLV and was ranked in the polls. UND outplayed them and won a good game. Now the game is at our place where we have only lost 11 games in 11 seasons at the Alerus Center. I think 7-2 could be a reality.
2011 GWFC Co-Champs!!!!
Now Playoff Eligible!!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Poly won by 4 last year, SUU lost at home and Montana may be without Johnson, very winnable games for a better Sioux team than last year.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
Poly won by 4 last year, SUU lost at home and Montana may be without Johnson, very winnable games for a better Sioux team than last year.
Losing Johnson isn't make or break for Montana. It may set them back a little, but they will still win a lot of games with their defense and offensive line/running game.
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JackParty wrote:Can't blame you for being NAU Doubters.

Time will tell. Can't wait.

Normally I refrain from saying "I told you so" but I better brush up on my cooking. I will be serving up some crow for you AZGrizz :nod:

Let the games begin!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The day NAU beats the Griz ain't happening in your lifetime. :kisswink:

AZGrizFan -

I've witnessed NAU defeating the UofM in person twice. Can't I be allowed one more time in my life on tv? I'll even buy you a celebratory shot on my dime if NAU pulls off the "W" in Missoula this year. I hate shots but what the hell.

JackParty -

Are you going to Missoula for the game or watching it here in-state? It is a fun gameday experience in Missoula if you ever have the chance. The Jacks have been painfully close the last few years vs. the Griz. One less penalty, one less turnover, one more tackle made, one more pass deflection...the difference has been that close. The old saying about horseshows and hand grenades applies, though. Need to cut those mistakes in order to win in a hostile environment. That all being said...there seems to be something to the Washington-Grizzly Stadium/UM/"big play when it counts" mystique. Nothing surprises me anymore in this series (notice, I didn't say rivalry....it's not a "rivalry" til NAU starts winning a few of 'em).
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

I'll go with three. I'd prefer four but something tells me the conference beats the hell out of each other this year. Also, how will the CAA get 8 teams in if the Big Sky takes one more of those spots??? ;) EWU, MSU and Cal Poly are my thoroughly uneducated predictions.

NAU gave themselves absolutely no room for error by playing up two games (@ ASU, @ UNLV) and down one game (home vs. Fort Lewis). Common sense says NAU goes 1-2 in these games and that one win is the one that doesn't count towards the playoffs. That means having to win 7 of 8 conference games. That's a tough act.
Biggame
I am a fan of: North Dakota

Post by Biggame »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
Of the three mentioned games I think UND matches up very well with UM and Cal Poly. SUU is a different story because UND has had some trouble with good pass first type teams recently. It is a tough schedule but I think UND is going to be much improved this year.
Biggame
I am a fan of: North Dakota

Post by Biggame »

I think it's likely that only 3 teams from the BSC make the playoffs but it could probably any of seven or eight teams. It will be interesting to see how the season shakes out. A lot more excitement about UND football now that the transition is over.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

EWURanger wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Losing Johnson isn't make or break for Montana. It may set them back a little, but they will still win a lot of games with their defense and offensive line/running game.
The coaching staff turnover may not help things out either. Coaching a game in that compact dome full of law students screaming at you, in Grand Forks can be tough. 7-4 for the Griz isn't that bad. All factors coming into the season, could be enough for the Sioux to win at home.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Duplicate
Hambone
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: U of North Dakota

Post by Hambone »

EWURanger wrote: That's a difficult schedule. Both Montana's, EWU, Portland State, Cal Poly...all of which could be playoff caliber teams. Southern Utah will be tough to beat with Sorensen at the helm, as will NAU with Bauman. Agree to disagree I guess, but 7-2 through that schedule would be a very big accomplishment for UND in their first year in the Big Sky.

Remember that the BSC is an extremely pass-happy conference....has UND's secondary improved dramatically since last season? If not, I could see them running into some problems.
It sounds like UND's secondary has improved slightly by the sounds of it. We're still weak on one side at CB, but there is a RSFr. who almost got his shirt pulled last year who didn't practice during Spring because of injury, and he will likely end up a starter to go with Daryl Brown, who is a very strong performer. Safety could still be an issue - brought in two JUCOs who appear to be talented, but the darkhorse Javen Butler, a RSFr., who had some academic problems and seems to have ironed them out (although I could be wrong and he could end up ineligible). Coming out of HS I thought he could have been a contributor last year, so we'll see what a year away has done to him.

After the DBs, the most important aspect to consider is the QB play. Last year was HORRIBLE, and UND ran the ball 72% of the time. This year it seems that Braden Hanson, a transfer from North Carolina, has been developing great chemistry with the WRs already, who appear to be a strength of this team. The offense should be very balanced, and should be able to beat you through the air or on the ground. But you never know once the season starts :)

I do think that UND is a wild card this year - I really don't know what to expect this year, but I'm cautiously optimistic that they will be able to sneak up on some teams this year and have a successful season. I've said before that they could finish anywhere from 3-8 to 8-3. I do agree that there will likely be 3 Big Sky teams in the playoffs, but you'll have to take your pick between UM, MSU, EWU, PSU, SUU, Poly, WSU and UND to get them.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING HAWKS