I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Post Reply
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17043
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by BDKJMU »

Consensus All American Jimmy Moreland of JMU, CAA Defensive POTY, saw his draft prospects rise after a strong week of practice & performance at the East West Shrine game last week in Mobile.

This week 1st JMU player ever in the Senior Bowl today (late entry added last weekend, not listed on the rosters I've seen online). Has gone from a projected UFFA to mid round pick..
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/an ... round-pick

Senior Bowl 110 players, 55 each side. Doz (at least) I-AA players (Geographically the rosters make little sense):
North
WR Keelan Doss, UCD
WR Alex Wesley N Colorado
DT Khalen Saunders, WIU
DE John Cominsky, CSU
CB Jordan Brown, SDSU
Safety Nassir Adderly, UD
South
RB Bruce Anderson, NDSU
TE Donald Parham, Stetson
OT Oli Udoh, Elon
OT Tytus Howard, Alabama St
OG B.J. Autry, JSU
CB Jimmy Moreland JMU
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 35781
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:01 pm
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ
Location: BSC

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by Grizalltheway »

IT'S
F
C
S
NOT
I
A
A

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17043
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by BDKJMU »

Grizalltheway wrote:IT'S
F
C
S
NOT
I
A
A
No kidding. I said on here (well AGS) about a doz years ago when they made the change I thought FCS was dumb & was going to continue using I-AA.

Edit: And as soon as I type this, Kheelan Doss makes a reception and one of the commentators mentions how UCD went to the "I-AA playoffs" (he then said FCS playoffs).. then Doss made another reception..

Stood out (most players played 2 qtrs):
-Doss
-DT Saunders from WIU. Had a sack when he whipped the OG. A couple of other QB pressures & caused some tackles for no gain on running plays. Looked very quick for 320 lb. Showed video of him doing back flips. Projected 4th Rd pick.
-Safety Adderly from UD. An INT & in on maybe 4 tackles
-CB Moreland from JMU: almost had a safety but they gave the WR forward progress. Playing basically nickel corner, maybe 2/3 of the snaps over 2 quarters, still in on about 4 tackles. (+ I'm biased).
-OT from Alabama St: started at RT for the South. Looked really solid.
(Elon OT played left tackled 2nd/4th qtrs, looked ok, but got stood up a couple run plays that went nowhere and got beat once & his QB drilled).
Bad:
Corner Jordan Brown from SDSU:
-Got torched by WVU WR on a long ball
-Then by beat on a slant route by the same WVU WR for a TD.
-Later beat by a different WVU WR for a TD.

-Didn't see NDSU's RB Bruce Anderson play..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 18125
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by JohnStOnge »

I posted a thread on this in the "Other Sports" section for the East West Shrine game but McNeese State's BJ Blunt appears to have helped himself a lot in the practices leading up to that All Star game as well as during the game. There are various articles about him getting attention with his play.

Here is one from NFLDraftNetwork.com that had him as having one of the 5 best prospect performances:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/19/ ... formances/
Blunt was such a delight to watch this week. Everything he does in practice and the game is at full-speed and exploding with energy. While he is undersized for the linebacker position and a transition to safety is inevitable, there is no denying his nose for the football.

Racking up six tackles, Blunt showed off his range and processing skills while he also made a diving interception. He may be from the small-school ranks and have tweener traits, but I am not betting against Blunt finding a role in sub-packages in the NFL while also being a dominant special teams performer. He has an infectious personality and love for the game that was obvious observing him throughout week.
You can see similar reviews in other places:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/281 ... raft-stock

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/standou ... hrine-game

https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars ... rine-game/

phpBB [video]
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17043
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by BDKJMU »

From Sr Bowl Practices a couple days ago, among 8 standout players mentioned:

DT Khalen Saunders | Western Illinois
Among the small-school players that faced the question how they’d fare against tougher and bigger competition was Saunders. The Western Illinois product entered the week with the news that him and his fiancee were expecting their newborn daughter, but he refused to leave the event because he knew he had something to prove.

The 6-foot-2 and 310 pound defensive tackle whipped on his competition, as he was quick off the snap, winning the leverage game, and a whole lot of power. Saunders reminds me of Raiders’ PJ Hall coming out of Sam Houston State last year and could have the same amount of rise in his stock, where he’s stout against both the pass and running game.

CB Jimmy Moreland | James Madison
Like Mack, Moreland was another late invite to the Senior Bowl after already proving his worth in the East-West Shrine game. The small-school cornerback didn’t necessarily have the size (5-foot-11 and 175 pounds) compared to his peers, but he played a lot more competitive and feisty.

Moreland matched up against Clemson wide receiver Hunter Renfrow and got the better of the two. When the two went against each other in the red-zone drill, Moreland was the only player that could stick with Renfrow, demonstrating smooth change of direction, stop/start ability and instinctive ball skills. He will be an enticing nickel cornerback option in this upcoming draft.
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/01/ ... practices/

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9068
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote:Consensus All American Jimmy Moreland of JMU, CAA Defensive POTY, saw his draft prospects rise after a strong week of practice & performance at the East West Shrine game last week in Mobile.

This week 1st JMU player ever in the Senior Bowl today (late entry added last weekend, not listed on the rosters I've seen online). Has gone from a projected UFFA to mid round pick..
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/an ... round-pick

Senior Bowl 110 players, 55 each side. Doz (at least) I-AA players (Geographically the rosters make little sense):
North
WR Keelan Doss, UCD
WR Alex Wesley N Colorado
DT Khalen Saunders, WIU
DE John Cominsky, CSU
CB Jordan Brown, SDSU
Safety Nassir Adderly, UD
South
RB Bruce Anderson, NDSU
TE Donald Parham, Stetson
OT Oli Udoh, Elon
OT Tytus Howard, Alabama St
OG B.J. Autry, JSU
CB Jimmy Moreland JMU
Good to see Howard among these other players.

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9068
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote:Consensus All American Jimmy Moreland of JMU, CAA Defensive POTY, saw his draft prospects rise after a strong week of practice & performance at the East West Shrine game last week in Mobile.

This week 1st JMU player ever in the Senior Bowl today (late entry added last weekend, not listed on the rosters I've seen online). Has gone from a projected UFFA to mid round pick..
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/an ... round-pick

Senior Bowl 110 players, 55 each side. Doz (at least) I-AA players (Geographically the rosters make little sense):
North
WR Keelan Doss, UCD
WR Alex Wesley N Colorado
DT Khalen Saunders, WIU
DE John Cominsky, CSU
CB Jordan Brown, SDSU
Safety Nassir Adderly, UD
South
RB Bruce Anderson, NDSU
TE Donald Parham, Stetson
OT Oli Udoh, Elon
OT Tytus Howard, Alabama St
OG B.J. Autry, JSU
CB Jimmy Moreland JMU
Tytus Howard congrats on being a FIRST ROUND PICK FOR THE TEXANS!!!! #23!!!!!!

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9068
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:IT'S
F
C
S
NOT
I
A
A
No kidding. I said on here (well AGS) about a doz years ago when they made the change I thought FCS was dumb & was going to continue using I-AA.

Edit: And as soon as I type this, Kheelan Doss makes a reception and one of the commentators mentions how UCD went to the "I-AA playoffs" (he then said FCS playoffs).. then Doss made another reception..

Stood out (most players played 2 qtrs):
-Doss
-DT Saunders from WIU. Had a sack when he whipped the OG. A couple of other QB pressures & caused some tackles for no gain on running plays. Looked very quick for 320 lb. Showed video of him doing back flips. Projected 4th Rd pick.
-Safety Adderly from UD. An INT & in on maybe 4 tackles
-CB Moreland from JMU: almost had a safety but they gave the WR forward progress. Playing basically nickel corner, maybe 2/3 of the snaps over 2 quarters, still in on about 4 tackles. (+ I'm biased).
-OT from Alabama St: started at RT for the South. Looked really solid.
(Elon OT played left tackled 2nd/4th qtrs, looked ok, but got stood up a couple run plays that went nowhere and got beat once & his QB drilled).
Bad:
Corner Jordan Brown from SDSU:
-Got torched by WVU WR on a long ball
-Then by beat on a slant route by the same WVU WR for a TD.
-Later beat by a different WVU WR for a TD.

-Didn't see NDSU's RB Bruce Anderson play..
Saw footage of Howard vs AUBURN and he has the athleticism to deal with speed rushers he was a former high school quarterback turned tight end now he is a first round pick as a offensive lineman.

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 25401
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by Gil Dobie »

Easton Stick goes to the Chargers in the 5th round. NDSU undrafted free agents Bruce Anderson and Jaylon Allison signed with Tampa. Tanner Volson Chargers. Darrius Shepherd Packers. Robbie Grimsley Saints.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
Posts: 16007
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm
I am a fan of: Sac State
Location: Lodi, CA

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by SuperHornet »

I was shocked the Iggles didn't take Stick....
Image

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 25401
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie wrote:Easton Stick goes to the Chargers in the 5th round. NDSU undrafted free agents Bruce Anderson and Jaylon Allison signed with Tampa. Tanner Volson Chargers. Darrius Shepherd Packers. Robbie Grimsley Saints.
Lance Dunnp goes to camp with the Rams.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 24682
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by Ivytalk »

Princeton had two FA signings: QB Lovett (Chiefs) and WR Carlson (Browns). Harvard had one: OL Allen,Jr. (Cowboys, where his dad played for a long time).
“I’m just dealing with reality.” — JohnStOnge 12/19/19

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 35555
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by 89Hen »

1 23 Houston Tytus Howard OT Alabama State
2 60 LA Chargers Nasir Adderley FS Delaware
3 84 Kansas City Khalen Saunders DT Western Illinois
3 98 Jacksonville Quincy Williams SS Murray State
5 166 LA Chargers Easton Stick QB North Dakota State
6 189 Cleveland Drew Forbes OG Southeast Missouri State
6 193 Minnesota Oli Udoh OT Elon
7 223 Cincinnati Jordan Brown CB South Dakota State
7 225 Buffalo Darryl Johnson DE North Carolina A&T
7 227 Washington Jimmy Moreland CB James Madison
7 230 Oakland Quinton Bell OLB Prairie View A&M
7 244 New Orleans Kaden Elliss OLB Idaho
7 248 Arizona Joshua Miles OG Morgan State
Image

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 18125
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by JohnStOnge »

Lean draft year for FCS.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 25401
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:Lean draft year for FCS.
Hasn't been this few since 2003, when there was 12. 19 last year,
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 43790
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:20 am
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail
Location: Scottsdale

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by dbackjon »

JohnStOnge wrote:Lean draft year for FCS.
Sun Belt only got ONE drafting - from NE Louisiana State College
:thumb:

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 24682
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:Lean draft year for FCS.
I blame Trump.
“I’m just dealing with reality.” — JohnStOnge 12/19/19

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 13193
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by SDHornet »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Lean draft year for FCS.
I blame Trump.
:lol:


I think it has more to do with FBS ponying up the FCOA monies to keep a solid hoard of talented reserves on roster. :twocents:

Hornets WR Andre Lindsey signed as a RFA with KC.

Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17043
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Easton Stick goes to the Chargers in the 5th round. NDSU undrafted free agents Bruce Anderson and Jaylon Allison signed with Tampa. Tanner Volson Chargers. Darrius Shepherd Packers. Robbie Grimsley Saints.
Lance Dunnp goes to camp with the Rams.
Wow, I wonder if having 6 drafted/UDFA head into training camp is a record? And I’m not including rookie minicamp invites/tryouts that don’t get UDFA contracts, but guys that get contracts and come into training camp on the roster.

For JMU:
-After last season’s small senior class, as of now its 2: 1 drafted (Jimmy Moreland, Redskins)/1 UDFA (RB Marcus Marshall, Chiefs) (also 1 rookie minicamp invite, RB Cardon Johnson, Steelers).
-Last year, after probably JMU’s best senior class ever (2017), that went to Frisco back to back, had 3 UDFA (2 initially that both made regular season rosters, + a 3rd signed UDFA contract after a rookie minicamp tryout). There were 4 additional invited to rookie tryouts/minicamps, 2 of whom just signed NFL FA contracts after season in the AAF.
-2010 was 5 (2 drafted/3 UDFA) from an underachieving 2009 team.

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9068
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by dal4018 »

Of course Howard has his detractors in SOCIAL MEDIA.

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9068
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by dal4018 »

More were taken in 2017.

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17043
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by BDKJMU »

Only 2 from this past season. Obviously this # will be dropped by the end of training camps, but a JMU record for players at any 1 time.
Image

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 45286
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by kalm »

Los Angeles Rams

Verified account

@RamsNFL
Follow Follow @RamsNFL
More
We sure do like those Eags over at @EWUFootball.

| #LArams sign LB Ketner Kupp

Image

That makes 5 Eagles with the Rams right now.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 25401
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Historic Leduc Estate

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by Gil Dobie »

10 Bison on rosters as of today. No word on Ramon Humber after getting a ring with New England last season. Plus Kyle Emmual retired after the season.

Jalen Allison Tampa Bay Buccaneers Cornerback
Bruce Anderson Tampa Bay Buccaneers Running Back
Chris Board Baltimore Ravens Linebacker
Nick DeLuca Jacksonville Jaguars Linebacker
Joe Haeg Indianapolis Colts Offensive Tackle
Darrius Shepherd Green Bay Packers Wide Receiver
Easton Stick Los Angeles Chargers Quarterback
Billy Turner Green Bay Packers Guard
Tanner Volson Los Angeles Chargers Center
Carson Wentz Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 9068
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: I-AA players All Star Games/Combine/Draft

Post by dal4018 »

89Hen wrote:1 23 Houston Tytus Howard OT Alabama State
2 60 LA Chargers Nasir Adderley FS Delaware
3 84 Kansas City Khalen Saunders DT Western Illinois
3 98 Jacksonville Quincy Williams SS Murray State
5 166 LA Chargers Easton Stick QB North Dakota State
6 189 Cleveland Drew Forbes OG Southeast Missouri State
6 193 Minnesota Oli Udoh OT Elon
7 223 Cincinnati Jordan Brown CB South Dakota State
7 225 Buffalo Darryl Johnson DE North Carolina A&T
7 227 Washington Jimmy Moreland CB James Madison
7 230 Oakland Quinton Bell OLB Prairie View A&M
7 244 New Orleans Kaden Elliss OLB Idaho
7 248 Arizona Joshua Miles OG Morgan State
Bell was switched from a WR he is a 4.37 with size 6-4 220 the coaching staff did this he could have been a NFL prospect.Miles ran a faster 40 than Howard who was taken in the first round.

Post Reply