BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Do they sell beer at your stadium?

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU finally is. One blurb in the article:
“...Over half of FBS football venues sell alcohol, while conference mate Delaware and a few other FCS schools (Youngstown State, McNeese State, Northern Colorado) have already initiated stadium-wide alcohol sales and others, such as William & Mary and Richmond, offer sales in select areas....”
https://jmusports.com/news/2019/5/23/be ... eason.aspx
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: Do they sell beer at your stadium?

Post by BDKJMU »

I had posted this on the JMU board a week+ ago:
Just in the last month:
5/10/19
"Board of Regents approves beer sales at Oklahoma Sooners football games
....Oklahoma is adding the sale of alcohol a year after Oklahoma State decided to do the same. Other Big 12 schools offering alcohol sales at home events include Texas and West Virginia, with the Mountaineers being one of the first schools to break the mold with alcohol sales at sporting events....."
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... all-games/

5/1/19
"With Indiana on board, half of the Big Ten will sell alcohol at football games in 2019

.....Indiana based its decision to offer the sales of alcoholic beverages following a review by Wasserman consulting firm. The review examined feedback from over 50 schools already selling beer and/or wine at football games. The data from that review demonstrated fans enjoyed the gameday atmosphere more and the numbers showed in increased attendance at football games at many schools. Additionally, schools offering alcoholic sales in football stadiums saw a decrease in alcoholic-related instances

Illinois became the sixth Big Ten program to make the decision to let the taps flow at football games in early April. Other Big Ten members offering alcoholic sales at football games are Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue, and Rutgers....."
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... all-games/

4/16/19
"NC House passes bill allowing colleges to sell alcohol at athletic venues

...The bill, which officials say has the support of 14 out of the 15 UNC System schools, would bring North Carolina public universities in line with private schools – such as Wake Forest and Duke – that are already selling alcohol at athletic games...."
https://www.wbtv.com/2019/04/16/nc-hous ... ic-venues/

WVU was one of the 1st schools to start doing this in 2011?, and its already over 50 schools. Pretty soon it won't be a question of which stadiums have beer sales. It will be which ones don't.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

No at NDSU, just at tailgating.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yes, Delaware has had beer in the stadium for several years.

It's probably the safest place in New Castle County on fall Saturdays. A couple of thousand drunks surrounded by a couple of hundred thousand heroin and meth addicts.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

There's a beer garden next to the press box, a VIP area with beer and wine under the press box, and a Miller-Coors endzone tent that costs $30 and includes the beer. Of course the press box suites you can bring your own into. A friend of mine has one but they are rather stale and you can't hear the crowd much etc. Kalm, being a man of the people, prefers to sit outside and to dry up during each half with a re-captured buz at half time.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:There's a beer garden next to the press box, a VIP area with beer and wine under the press box, and a Miller-Coors endzone tent that costs $30 and includes the beer. Of course the press box suites you can bring your own into. A friend of mine has one but they are rather stale and you can't hear the crowd much etc. Kalm, being a man of the people, prefers to sit outside and to dry up during each half with a re-captured buz at half time.
So the beer garden is open ti the Gen Public?

I should have specified “does your stadium sell beer to the general public where you can take it to your seats?
JMU has been selling it in the Club suites (1k seats) since the new stadium opened in 2011 (They get 2 comp drinks per ticket). For the 24k seats it has been a no go.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:There's a beer garden next to the press box, a VIP area with beer and wine under the press box, and a Miller-Coors endzone tent that costs $30 and includes the beer. Of course the press box suites you can bring your own into. A friend of mine has one but they are rather stale and you can't hear the crowd much etc. Kalm, being a man of the people, prefers to sit outside and to dry up during each half with a re-captured buz at half time.

I should have specified “does your stadium sell beer to the general public where you can take it to your seats?
JMU has been selling it in the Club suites (1k seats) since the new stadium opened in 2011 (They get 2 comp drinks per ticket). For the 24k seats it has been a no go.

You can't take it to your seat.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: So the beer garden is open ti the Gen Public?

You can't take it to your seat.
Can you at least watch the game from there, though?
According to news reports and the JMU board, you will be able to take it back your seat. It won’t be sold on east (small) side of the stadium where at least 1/2 the students, and the visiting fans sit.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote:It won’t be sold on east (small) side of the stadium where at least 1/2 the students, and the visiting fans sit.
The dumb visiting fans. I always buy tix on the home side. 8-)
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Nothing like enjoying a good Vik game with a cold Widmer Hefe in your hand. :thumb:
The Cats
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: WCU
A.K.A.: The Cats

Post by The Cats »

No at Western Carolina.

but there is hope..... April 16, 2019 at 5:11 PM EDT - Updated April 16 at 7:09 PM
RALEIGH, NC (WBTV) - The North Carolina House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday that would authorize public colleges and universities to allow alcohol sales at stadiums, athletic facilities and arenas located on school property.

The bill will now move to the North Carolina Senate for consideration.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

So, wait... all the blue states have beer and all us red states are too busy being some controlling ass Puritans? This is some bullshit.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

[tweet][/tweet]Well, since you mentioned McNeese State you already know the answer. Nicholls State too. I'm trying to remember but I think Nicholls State might have mixed drinks too.

But...remember...Louisiana is a State where you can buy alcoholic beverages from drive throughs.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
WWII
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by WWII »

Beer and Wine at UAlbany.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

The best beer ever made....

Spoiler: show
Of course, I'm biased given that it was invented in my hometown of Lodi. ;)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
LDopaPDX
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by LDopaPDX »

BDKJMU wrote:

The beer garden is open to the public, but you can't bring the beer back to your seat. You can't smoke marijuana anywhere inside the stadium, although it is generally permitted in the RV section of the tailgate (at the very least, you wouldn't get hassled if you did--- if that's your kind of party). There's pretty much no oversight of the tailgate area and cops or security are only brought in if someone is causing serious problems.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

LDopaPDX wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: So the beer garden is open ti the Gen Public?

The beer garden is open to the public, but you can't bring the beer back to your seat. You can't smoke marijuana anywhere inside the stadium, although it is generally permitted in the RV section of the tailgate (at the very least, you wouldn't get hassled if you did--- if that's your kind of party). There's pretty much no oversight of the tailgate area and cops or security are only brought in if someone is causing serious problems.
Got it. But again, could you watch the game from the beer garden?
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

BDKJMU wrote:
LDopaPDX wrote:
Got it. But again, could you watch the game from the beer garden?
The area that is open in the end zone it is technically possible but you won't be able to see much of the game from there.
In the other end zone where you have to pay for cheap ass crappy beer you can see a little bit more of the field but not much.
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

In Missoula, basically no. Private boxes can being in anything they want. If you have seats in the middle sec of that top deck you can buy beer and wine. You can sit inside or outside on either end.
We can leave at the half much to the chagrin of those who want to stop anyone from having fun.

“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Sac State had alcohol in the booster areas for at least the last 5 years now, had a beer garden area 2 or 3 years ago, and started letting people take it to their seats last season.

CA didn't allow public universities to sell beer, but needed money so they changed their tune. Morons.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

polsongrizz wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Got it. But again, could you watch the game from the beer garden?
The area that is open in the end zone it is technically possible but you won't be able to see much of the game from there.
In the other end zone where you have to pay for cheap ass crappy beer you can see a little bit more of the field but not much.
That pretty much eliminates the #1 reason to have beer at a stadium. To be able to drink while watching the game. Why even sell it in that case..
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

93henfan wrote:Yes, Delaware has had beer in the stadium for several years.

It's probably the safest place in New Castle County on fall Saturdays. A couple of thousand drunks surrounded by a couple of hundred thousand heroin and meth addicts.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4

Post by polsongrizz »

SDHornet wrote:Sac State had alcohol in the booster areas for at least the last 5 years now, had a beer garden area 2 or 3 years ago, and started letting people take it to their seats last season.

CA didn't allow public universities to sell beer, but needed money so they changed their tune. Morons.
I am pretty sure there use to be a pub on campus while I was there way back in the day. I think it was in the Riverfront Center building.
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

polsongrizz wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Sac State had alcohol in the booster areas for at least the last 5 years now, had a beer garden area 2 or 3 years ago, and started letting people take it to their seats last season.

I am pretty sure there use to be a pub on campus while I was there way back in the day. I think it was in the Riverfront Center building.
Yup, it was still there when I graduated in '07. Not sure if the Pub is still there but the Roundtable Pizza in the Union sells pints.