Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Political discussions
User avatar
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11401
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:29 am
I am a fan of: William & Mary
Location: Republic of Texas

Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Col Hogan » Sun May 26, 2019 11:21 am

Should rural and small-town Americans be reduced to serfdom? The American Founders didn’t think so. This is one reason why they created checks and balances, including the Electoral College. Today that system is threatened by a proposal called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, or NPV.

Rural America produces almost all our country’s food, as well as raw materials like metals, cotton and timber. Energy, fossil fuels but also alternatives like wind and solar come mostly from rural areas. In other words, the material inputs of modern life flow out of rural communities and into cities.

This is fine, so long as the exchange is voluntary — rural people choose to sell their goods and services, receive a fair price, and have their freedom protected under law. But history shows that city dwellers have a nasty habit of taking advantage of their country cousins. Greeks enslaved whole masses of rural people, known as helots. Medieval Europe had feudalism. The Russians had their serfs.


https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 770424002/

We’ve recently seen calls for women to withhold sex until men vote properly...Slate recently proposed that millennials not have kids or keep their kids from seeing their grandparents until the grandparents agree to vote “properly”...

I say maybe rural Americans should withhold their products and services to their city cousins until they agree to honor the Constitution as written and stop this foolishness of messing with the Electoral College...

:coffee:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

User avatar
css75
Level3
Level3
Posts: 2505
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby css75 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:34 pm

Good article.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
89Hen
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
Posts: 33481
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: Fisher of Men

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby 89Hen » Sun May 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Dems don't care.
Image

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23842
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Gil Dobie » Sun May 26, 2019 2:26 pm

The best analogy I've heard, without the electoral college, the small states would be like a lamb voting with 2 wolves on what's for lunch.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

User avatar
mainejeff
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby mainejeff » Sun May 26, 2019 3:39 pm

You guys are a bunch of paranoid fucktards.

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!

User avatar
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 8452
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:41 am
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby SeattleGriz » Sun May 26, 2019 3:47 pm

mainejeff wrote:You guys are a bunch of paranoid fucktards.

:coffee:
It's only a small step from killing babies to men.
Everything is better with Montana.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51254
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby AZGrizFan » Sun May 26, 2019 4:47 pm

SeattleGriz wrote:
mainejeff wrote:You guys are a bunch of paranoid fucktards.

:coffee:
It's only a small step from killing babies to men.

:coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 42480
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby kalm » Sun May 26, 2019 6:13 pm

Col Hogan wrote:
Should rural and small-town Americans be reduced to serfdom? The American Founders didn’t think so. This is one reason why they created checks and balances, including the Electoral College. Today that system is threatened by a proposal called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, or NPV.

Rural America produces almost all our country’s food, as well as raw materials like metals, cotton and timber. Energy, fossil fuels but also alternatives like wind and solar come mostly from rural areas. In other words, the material inputs of modern life flow out of rural communities and into cities.

This is fine, so long as the exchange is voluntary — rural people choose to sell their goods and services, receive a fair price, and have their freedom protected under law. But history shows that city dwellers have a nasty habit of taking advantage of their country cousins. Greeks enslaved whole masses of rural people, known as helots. Medieval Europe had feudalism. The Russians had their serfs.


https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 770424002/

We’ve recently seen calls for women to withhold sex until men vote properly...Slate recently proposed that millennials not have kids or keep their kids from seeing their grandparents until the grandparents agree to vote “properly”...

I say maybe rural Americans should withhold their products and services to their city cousins until they agree to honor the Constitution as written and stop this foolishness of messing with the Electoral College...

:coffee:


Yeah...they should just close up shop. :lol:

This would carry a lot more weight in the freedom department if ag wasn't so heavily subsidized and corporatized.

I honestly don't mind the electoral college that much but why not just grant every legislative district one electoral vote? There's a crap ton of ag and mining in the rural areas of Washington, Oregon, and California. Their votes should count for more too.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 10597
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:42 pm
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Vidav » Sun May 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Gil Dobie wrote:The best analogy I've heard, without the electoral college, the small states would be like a lamb voting with 2 wolves on what's for lunch.


But with the electoral college my vote for president in Montana never matters. We get 3 votes. That wont swing anything, ever.
93 had something to do with this:
Image

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 17609
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby JohnStOnge » Sun May 26, 2019 7:12 pm

A bunch of nonsense in today's context. Each vote should indeed count equally.

As I said in another thread: The design of the Electoral College is one in which the idea was that each State would pick smart people then those smart people would pick a President. That is NOT what is happening nowadays. If there was ever an argument for the Electoral College system it was lost when we started having popular votes in the States then having each State's Electors bound to vote for whoever the popular vote in their State chose.

The article is basically an argument that each rural person should have their vote count for more than each "city" person's vote. That's not really defensible.

The idea of saying rural Americans would be serfs is ridiculous too. Nobody is forced to live in a rural area. Nobody is forced to be a farmer. Etc. If you produce a needed product there are certain market realities. To compare abolishing the Electoral College to making people who live in rural areas "serfs" is absurd.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 17609
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby JohnStOnge » Sun May 26, 2019 7:18 pm

It'll be interesting to see how all the Republicans now extolling the value of the Electoral College because it allowed them to win two elections in 2000 and 2016 when they lost the popular vote will respond when Texas and Florida evolve into being in the "Blue" column. When that happens it'll be pretty much a hopeless situation for Republicans. Then the four largest population States will have ALL their Electoral votes go to the Democrat. It won't matter if the Republicans get 30% of the vote in any one of those States for 40%. Or 49%. It'll be winner take all.

It's going to happen. And it'll be interesting to see what Republicans think of the Electoral College when it does.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51254
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby AZGrizFan » Sun May 26, 2019 7:41 pm

JohnStOnge wrote:It'll be interesting to see how all the Republicans now extolling the value of the Electoral College because it allowed them to win two elections in 2000 and 2016 when they lost the popular vote will respond when Texas and Florida evolve into being in the "Blue" column. When that happens it'll be pretty much a hopeless situation for Republicans. Then the four largest population States will have ALL their Electoral votes go to the Democrat. It won't matter if the Republicans get 30% of the vote in any one of those States for 40%. Or 49%. It'll be winner take all.

It's going to happen. And it'll be interesting to see what Republicans think of the Electoral College when it does.


well if its so certain to happen you should be ecstatic that we still have the system in place then.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21654
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby CID1990 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:12 pm

JohnStOnge wrote:It'll be interesting to see how all the Republicans now extolling the value of the Electoral College because it allowed them to win two elections in 2000 and 2016 when they lost the popular vote will respond when Texas and Florida evolve into being in the "Blue" column. When that happens it'll be pretty much a hopeless situation for Republicans. Then the four largest population States will have ALL their Electoral votes go to the Democrat. It won't matter if the Republicans get 30% of the vote in any one of those States for 40%. Or 49%. It'll be winner take all.

It's going to happen. And it'll be interesting to see what Republicans think of the Electoral College when it does.


They can do what you should do:

Amend the Constitution or STFU


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
Posts: 15093
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 am
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby ALPHAGRIZ1 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:36 pm

mainejeff wrote:You guys are a bunch of paranoid fucktards.

:coffee:
Go fuck yourself

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Image

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 15644
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby BDKJMU » Sun May 26, 2019 11:07 pm

JohnStOnge wrote:It'll be interesting to see how all the Republicans now extolling the value of the Electoral College because it allowed them to win two elections in 2000 and 2016 when they lost the popular vote will respond when Texas and Florida evolve into being in the "Blue" column. When that happens it'll be pretty much a hopeless situation for Republicans. Then the four largest population States will have ALL their Electoral votes go to the Democrat. It won't matter if the Republicans get 30% of the vote in any one of those States for 40%. Or 49%. It'll be winner take all.

It's going to happen. And it'll be interesting to see what Republicans think of the Electoral College when it does.

Already been there. Done that. TX & FL were blue. Then they went red. They could go blue again. Then red again. Then blue again. Then red again. And other states that are red could go blue. And other states that are blue could go red. Just look at the last 230 years. Things change Every generation the electoral map looks different.

User avatar
mainejeff
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby mainejeff » Mon May 27, 2019 4:57 am

SeattleGriz wrote:
mainejeff wrote:You guys are a bunch of paranoid fucktards.

:coffee:
It's only a small step from killing babies to men.


It's only a small step from Trump to Hitler.

Happy Memorial Day!

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23842
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon May 27, 2019 4:59 am

JohnStOnge wrote:A bunch of nonsense in today's context. Each vote should indeed count equally.

As I said in another thread: The design of the Electoral College is one in which the idea was that each State would pick smart people then those smart people would pick a President. That is NOT what is happening nowadays. If there was ever an argument for the Electoral College system it was lost when we started having popular votes in the States then having each State's Electors bound to vote for whoever the popular vote in their State chose.

The article is basically an argument that each rural person should have their vote count for more than each "city" person's vote. That's not really defensible.

The idea of saying rural Americans would be serfs is ridiculous too. Nobody is forced to live in a rural area. Nobody is forced to be a farmer. Etc. If you produce a needed product there are certain market realities. To compare abolishing the Electoral College to making people who live in rural areas "serfs" is absurd.


I would look at the nomination process, giving us 2 POS from the dominant political parties. If you voted for either one of them, the electoral college is not your problem.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

User avatar
mainejeff
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby mainejeff » Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 am

JohnStOnge wrote:It'll be interesting to see how all the Republicans now extolling the value of the Electoral College because it allowed them to win two elections in 2000 and 2016 when they lost the popular vote will respond when Texas and Florida evolve into being in the "Blue" column. When that happens it'll be pretty much a hopeless situation for Republicans. Then the four largest population States will have ALL their Electoral votes go to the Democrat. It won't matter if the Republicans get 30% of the vote in any one of those States for 40%. Or 49%. It'll be winner take all.

It's going to happen. And it'll be interesting to see what Republicans think of the Electoral College when it does.


Amen John! But as we know.....Republicans are masters of manipulation. They will indeed find a way to stay in the game. :nod:

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5876
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby UNI88 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:01 am

mainejeff wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:It's only a small step from killing babies to men.


It's only a small step from Trump to Hitler.

Happy Memorial Day!

:coffee:
And it's an even smaller step from Bernie, Warren, Harris, etc. to Stalin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

User avatar
mainejeff
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby mainejeff » Mon May 27, 2019 5:01 am

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:You guys are a bunch of paranoid fucktards.

:coffee:
Go fuck yourself

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk


Blah blah blah......get bent motherfucker.

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!

User avatar
mainejeff
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby mainejeff » Mon May 27, 2019 5:04 am

UNI88 wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
It's only a small step from Trump to Hitler.

Happy Memorial Day!

:coffee:
And it's an even smaller step from Bernie, Warren, Harris, etc. to Stalin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Nope. It's easier to get people to hate than it is to overhaul our entire economy.

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5876
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby UNI88 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:09 am

mainejeff wrote:
UNI88 wrote:And it's an even smaller step from Bernie, Warren, Harris, etc. to Stalin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Nope. It's easier to get people to hate than it is to overhaul our entire economy.

:coffee:


Stalin (and Mao) were even better than Hitler at hate and destruction. And they didn't overhaul economies they decimated them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Baldy
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7661
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Baldy » Mon May 27, 2019 6:08 am

mainejeff wrote:
UNI88 wrote:And it's an even smaller step from Bernie, Warren, Harris, etc. to Stalin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Nope. It's easier to get people to hate than it is to overhaul our entire economy.

:coffee:

...and the Left is so full of hate right now. It's a shame, really.
mainejeff wrote:You guys are a bunch of paranoid fucktards.

:ohno:

User avatar
Pwns
Level4
Level4
Posts: 6189
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:38 pm
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Pwns » Mon May 27, 2019 6:24 am

mainejeff wrote:You guys are a bunch of paranoid fucktards.

:coffee:


mainejeff wrote:
It's only a small step from Trump to Hitler.

Happy Memorial Day!

:coffee:


:lol:
We get the government we deserve. :nod:

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 23842
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rural Americans would be serfs if we abolished the Electoral College

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon May 27, 2019 6:28 am

mainejeff wrote:
UNI88 wrote:And it's an even smaller step from Bernie, Warren, Harris, etc. to Stalin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Nope. It's easier to get people to hate than it is to overhaul our entire economy.

:coffee:


Is Hitler or Stalin win with an electoral college vote?

Asking for a friend.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage


Return to “Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kalm and 91 guests