Mexican Tariffs

Political discussions
User avatar
mainejeff
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Mexican Tariffs

Postby mainejeff » Fri May 31, 2019 6:05 am

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... rants-stop

I think that it might be time to pull some money out of the market.

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!

User avatar
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 53137
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm
Location: Slower Delaware

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby 93henfan » Fri May 31, 2019 6:20 am

This has no teeth to it whatsoever and Trump will back down. Grassley (R) has already condemned it. Next will be the automakers, as a LOT of models from Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and VW (off the top of my head) come from Mexico and you can't just flip a switch and make a new factory and supply chain appear in Detroit.

Trump's game is getting tired.

And conflating immigration with trade is asinine.

PS. China is about to put a block on rare earth metals, so that'll be over soon too.
"Hell yes we're going to take your AR-15" - the democrats

User avatar
mainejeff
Level3
Level3
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby mainejeff » Fri May 31, 2019 6:31 am

93henfan wrote:This has no teeth to it whatsoever and Trump will back down. Grassley (R) has already condemned it. Next will be the automakers, as a LOT of models from Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and VW (off the top of my head) come from Mexico and you can't just flip a switch and make a new factory and supply chain appear in Detroit.

Trump's game is getting tired.

And conflating immigration with trade is asinine.

PS. China is about to put a block on rare earth metals, so that'll be over soon too.


I disagree with you. For Trump....it's time to burn Rome. He....just...doesn't...fucking...care.

I don't know why some of you guys don't get that....or care. And I get that a lot of you hate government....hate playing by the rules....hate the fact that you can't do whatever whenever wherever you want. But we have a whole big world to deal with out there.....there are no elections for Trump to win outside of this country. The world is giving Trump the finger....and Trump is giving us the finger.

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18098
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby Chizzang » Fri May 31, 2019 6:57 am

mainejeff wrote:
93henfan wrote:This has no teeth to it whatsoever and Trump will back down. Grassley (R) has already condemned it. Next will be the automakers, as a LOT of models from Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and VW (off the top of my head) come from Mexico and you can't just flip a switch and make a new factory and supply chain appear in Detroit.

Trump's game is getting tired.

And conflating immigration with trade is asinine.

PS. China is about to put a block on rare earth metals, so that'll be over soon too.


I disagree with you. For Trump....it's time to burn Rome. He....just...doesn't...fucking...care.

I don't know why some of you guys don't get that....or care. And I get that a lot of you hate government....hate playing by the rules....hate the fact that you can't do whatever whenever wherever you want. But we have a whole big world to deal with out there.....there are no elections for Trump to win outside of this country. The world is giving Trump the finger....and Trump is giving us the finger.

:coffee:


This ^ would imply President Trump has an actual "plan"
There is no evidence that supports the argument that the Trump administration has a plan

He seems to just bounce around knee jerking and chest bumping
based entirely on what "just happened"
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 42489
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby kalm » Fri May 31, 2019 7:04 am

Chizzang wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
I disagree with you. For Trump....it's time to burn Rome. He....just...doesn't...fucking...care.

I don't know why some of you guys don't get that....or care. And I get that a lot of you hate government....hate playing by the rules....hate the fact that you can't do whatever whenever wherever you want. But we have a whole big world to deal with out there.....there are no elections for Trump to win outside of this country. The world is giving Trump the finger....and Trump is giving us the finger.

:coffee:


This ^ would imply President Trump has an actual "plan"
There is no evidence that supports the argument that the Trump administration has a plan

He seems to just bounce around knee jerking and chest bumping
based entirely on what "just happened"


Don't sell him short. He's an idea guy. Idea guys are visionary and have no time for planning.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7638
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am
I am a fan of: elaware
Location: East Coast/Hawaii

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby bluehenbillk » Fri May 31, 2019 7:20 am

Trump won't let the market tank - or will do everything in his power to not let it - as the economy chugging along is his #1 sell for re-election.
Make Delaware Football Great Again

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 12166
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby SDHornet » Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 am

Meh, Trump already threatened to tariff Mexico then backed down. Not sure why anyone else is expecting anything different here.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 23259
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm
I am a fan of: Salisbury University
Location: Republic of Western Sussex

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby Ivytalk » Fri May 31, 2019 8:16 am

Chizzang wrote:
mainejeff wrote:
I disagree with you. For Trump....it's time to burn Rome. He....just...doesn't...****...care.

I don't know why some of you guys don't get that....or care. And I get that a lot of you hate government....hate playing by the rules....hate the fact that you can't do whatever whenever wherever you want. But we have a whole big world to deal with out there.....there are no elections for Trump to win outside of this country. The world is giving Trump the finger....and Trump is giving us the finger.

:coffee:


This ^ would imply President Trump has an actual "plan"
There is no evidence that supports the argument that the Trump administration has a plan

He seems to just bounce around knee jerking and chest bumping
based entirely on what "just happened"

:+1:

The whack-a-mole President: hit ‘em as they pop up, and if you miss, aim at the next one.
“...we are ALL cunts.” — CID1990, 10/31/19

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby UNI88 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:05 pm

93henfan wrote:This has no teeth to it whatsoever and Trump will back down. Grassley (R) has already condemned it. Next will be the automakers, as a LOT of models from Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and VW (off the top of my head) come from Mexico and you can't just flip a switch and make a new factory and supply chain appear in Detroit.

Trump's game is getting tired.

And conflating immigration with trade is asinine.

PS. China is about to put a block on rare earth metals, so that'll be over soon too.


Rare earths are where China has some serious leverage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21669
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby CID1990 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:57 pm

UNI88 wrote:
93henfan wrote:This has no teeth to it whatsoever and Trump will back down. Grassley (R) has already condemned it. Next will be the automakers, as a LOT of models from Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and VW (off the top of my head) come from Mexico and you can't just flip a switch and make a new factory and supply chain appear in Detroit.

Trump's game is getting tired.

And conflating immigration with trade is asinine.

PS. China is about to put a block on rare earth metals, so that'll be over soon too.


Rare earths are where China has some serious leverage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


True - we have them but we won’t mine them (because of highly toxic processes)

Better for China to wreck their own ecology

In about 100 years when China needs lebensraum because much of their country is unlivable they’ll come knocking


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 17609
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby JohnStOnge » Fri May 31, 2019 10:15 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:Trump won't let the market tank - or will do everything in his power to not let it - as the economy chugging along is his #1 sell for re-election.


Trump is an idiot. I agree that the economy, which is good right now but not good because of him, is his #1 selling point. But he has no clue about anything other than scamming. He has no idea as to what he is doing and I long for the day when his cultists shake off the cobwebs and realize that.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
Posts: 18098
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 am
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid
Location: Soon to be Eden Prairie...

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby Chizzang » Fri May 31, 2019 10:45 pm

JohnStOnge wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:Trump won't let the market tank - or will do everything in his power to not let it - as the economy chugging along is his #1 sell for re-election.


Trump is an idiot. I agree that the economy, which is good right now but not good because of him, is his #1 selling point. But he has no clue about anything other than scamming. He has no idea as to what he is doing and I long for the day when his cultists shake off the cobwebs and realize that.


John deep seated bias confirmation is not easy to just "shake off"

:geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby UNI88 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:54 am

Chizzang wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Trump is an idiot. I agree that the economy, which is good right now but not good because of him, is his #1 selling point. But he has no clue about anything other than scamming. He has no idea as to what he is doing and I long for the day when his cultists shake off the cobwebs and realize that.


John deep seated bias confirmation is not easy to just "shake off"

:geek:


I agree with John that Trump is a scammer (charlatan & snake oil salesman) but John is a prime example of deep seated bias confirmation because he hates him so much he can't give him credit for anything positive.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 12166
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby SDHornet » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:36 am

UNI88 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
John deep seated bias confirmation is not easy to just "shake off"

:geek:


I agree with John that Trump is a scammer (charlatan & snake oil salesman) but John is a prime example of deep seated bias confirmation because he hates him so much he can't give him credit for anything positive.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So water is still wet and the sky is still blue?

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby UNI88 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:42 am

SDHornet wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
I agree with John that Trump is a scammer (charlatan & snake oil salesman) but John is a prime example of deep seated bias confirmation because he hates him so much he can't give him credit for anything positive.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So water is still wet and the sky is still blue?
Chizzy and Kalm like to defend John and his "integrity" because he's an alleged conservative that doesn't support Trump so I like to highlight the irony.

Doesn't mean that there isn't a whole lot of confirmation bias on part of Trump supporters, there is. The far right and far left are really two sides of the same coin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 12166
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby SDHornet » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:50 am

UNI88 wrote:
SDHornet wrote:So water is still wet and the sky is still blue?
Chizzy and Kalm like to defend John and his "integrity" because he's an alleged conservative that doesn't support Trump so I like to highlight the irony.

Doesn't mean that there isn't a whole lot of confirmation bias on part of Trump supporters, there is. The far right and far left are really two sides of the same coin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

:thumb:

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby UNI88 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:56 am

CID1990 wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
Rare earths are where China has some serious leverage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


True - we have them but we won’t mine them (because of highly toxic processes)

Better for China to wreck their own ecology

In about 100 years when China needs lebensraum because much of their country is unlivable they’ll come knocking


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


We don't mine the rare earths because of toxicity and expense. We could find ways to do it with less toxicity (I don't know how much less) but it would be too expensive. That could change with the tariffs.

Afghanistan and the central Asia could become more valuable. It will be interesting to see how the US and other countries move forward.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21669
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby CID1990 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:08 am

UNI88 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
True - we have them but we won’t mine them (because of highly toxic processes)

Better for China to wreck their own ecology

In about 100 years when China needs lebensraum because much of their country is unlivable they’ll come knocking


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


We don't mine the rare earths because of toxicity and expense. We could find ways to do it with less toxicity (I don't know how much less) but it would be too expensive. That could change with the tariffs.

Afghanistan and the central Asia could become more valuable. It will be interesting to see how the US and other countries move forward.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Clitz will tell you that our war in Afghanistan was to secure rare earths.

Or maybe that was klam I get them confused sometimes

But China cornered the market (and the rights) on rare metals in Afghanistan early on - you can consider that part of the world as effectively being China at this stage of the game

We will either have to mine them ourselves or knuckle under to our Chinese overlords... there really is no middle ground


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 42489
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby kalm » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:41 am

UNI88 wrote:
SDHornet wrote:So water is still wet and the sky is still blue?
Chizzy and Kalm like to defend John and his "integrity" because he's an alleged conservative that doesn't support Trump so I like to highlight the irony.

Doesn't mean that there isn't a whole lot of confirmation bias on part of Trump supporters, there is. The far right and far left are really two sides of the same coin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


JSO was one of my favorite posters before Trump even ran. He’s honest, well reasoned and makes me think...whether I agree with him or not.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 42489
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby kalm » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:42 am

CID1990 wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
We don't mine the rare earths because of toxicity and expense. We could find ways to do it with less toxicity (I don't know how much less) but it would be too expensive. That could change with the tariffs.

Afghanistan and the central Asia could become more valuable. It will be interesting to see how the US and other countries move forward.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Clitz will tell you that our war in Afghanistan was to secure rare earths.

Or maybe that was klam I get them confused sometimes

But China cornered the market (and the rights) on rare metals in Afghanistan early on - you can consider that part of the world as effectively being China at this stage of the game

We will either have to mine them ourselves or knuckle under to our Chinese overlords... there really is no middle ground


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


So we really are there because, freedom!

(Btw, I think the rare earth stuff was mostly HD. )
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby UNI88 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:07 pm

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Chizzy and Kalm like to defend John and his "integrity" because he's an alleged conservative that doesn't support Trump so I like to highlight the irony.

Doesn't mean that there isn't a whole lot of confirmation bias on part of Trump supporters, there is. The far right and far left are really two sides of the same coin.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


JSO was one of my favorite posters before Trump even ran. He’s honest, well reasoned and makes me think...whether I agree with him or not.


You need to take a closer look at JSO's posts since Trump became a legitimate candidate. An honest and well-reasoned poster would be able to give credit to the good things that Trump has accomplished. JSO is completely incapable of doing so. Is a poster that is so obviously biased really honest and well-reasoned?

And I agree with JSO that Trump is a dishonest buffoon and charlatan. But I also believe that the last 2+ years have been better under Trump than they probably would have been under Hillary. Trump had degraded our Republic because he's a petty and vindictive egomaniac. Hillary would have intentionally degraded our Republic with malice and foresight to expand her power and enrich her friends. I can't even have a debate with JSO about that because he is unable to consider the possibility that someone could be worse than Trump.

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby UNI88 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:12 pm

CID1990 wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
We don't mine the rare earths because of toxicity and expense. We could find ways to do it with less toxicity (I don't know how much less) but it would be too expensive. That could change with the tariffs.

Afghanistan and the central Asia could become more valuable. It will be interesting to see how the US and other countries move forward.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Clitz will tell you that our war in Afghanistan was to secure rare earths.

Or maybe that was klam I get them confused sometimes

But China cornered the market (and the rights) on rare metals in Afghanistan early on - you can consider that part of the world as effectively being China at this stage of the game

We will either have to mine them ourselves or knuckle under to our Chinese overlords... there really is no middle ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That might have been Houndy.

Question - which Afghan government made the agreement with the Chinese and is the current government really bound by it?

I think rare earths are going to be discovered in other locations in the next 10-20 years. It's a question of whether we can make it that long and then whether we can secure the rights to them.

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 17609
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby JohnStOnge » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:39 pm

UNI88 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
John deep seated bias confirmation is not easy to just "shake off"

:geek:


I agree with John that Trump is a scammer (charlatan & snake oil salesman) but John is a prime example of deep seated bias confirmation because he hates him so much he can't give him credit for anything positive.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Not so. I think the court appointments are, on balance, positive.

All I'm saying is that when it come to the economy it really is a situation where, if one just looks at the measures people have historically looked at without knowing who was President when, one would not say that it looks like something happened around the end of 2016 and/or the beginning of 2017 to change the basic nature of the way things were going.

There really is not sufficient evidence to say, by any reasonable standard, that the economy is better than it would otherwise be thanks to Trump.

And I've got to say that even the court appointments thing is qualified by the fact that the Senate has exercised SOME discretion. Trump has appointed people who were clearly not qualified and the Senate to some extent has weeded them out.

This is not bias, confirmation or otherwise. It's just the truth.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

User avatar
CID1990
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21669
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 am
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990
Location: กรุงเทพมหานคร

Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby CID1990 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:59 pm

UNI88 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Clitz will tell you that our war in Afghanistan was to secure rare earths.

Or maybe that was klam I get them confused sometimes

But China cornered the market (and the rights) on rare metals in Afghanistan early on - you can consider that part of the world as effectively being China at this stage of the game

We will either have to mine them ourselves or knuckle under to our Chinese overlords... there really is no middle ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That might have been Houndy.

Question - which Afghan government made the agreement with the Chinese and is the current government really bound by it?

I think rare earths are going to be discovered in other locations in the next 10-20 years. It's a question of whether we can make it that long and then whether we can secure the rights to them.


I’ll just say that China covers all their bases.

As in Africa, China will be hegemon in central Asia.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris

User avatar
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5887
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 am
I am a fan of: UNI
Location: On the foggy woggy banks of the Limpopo River

Re: RE: Re: Mexican Tariffs

Postby UNI88 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:14 pm

JohnStOnge wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
I agree with John that Trump is a scammer (charlatan & snake oil salesman) but John is a prime example of deep seated bias confirmation because he hates him so much he can't give him credit for anything positive.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Not so. I think the court appointments are, on balance, positive.

All I'm saying is that when it come to the economy it really is a situation where, if one just looks at the measures people have historically looked at without knowing who was President when, one would not say that it looks like something happened around the end of 2016 and/or the beginning of 2017 to change the basic nature of the way things were going.

There really is not sufficient evidence to say, by any reasonable standard, that the economy is better than it would otherwise be thanks to Trump.

And I've got to say that even the court appointments thing is qualified by the fact that the Senate has exercised SOME discretion. Trump has appointed people who were clearly not qualified and the Senate to some extent has weeded them out.

This is not bias, confirmation or otherwise. It's just the truth.


John, who said that "something happened around the end of 2016 and/or the beginning of 2017 to change the basic nature of the way things were going"? Please go back and read AZ's or my (or others') posts and show that we're arguing that the economy improved under Trump. When you can't find one, please address the argument that we are making rather than moving the goalposts to a position allows you to feel like you're winning the argument.


Return to “Politics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Col Hogan, UNI88 and 63 guests