Political discussions
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: The Trump Whistleblower Extravaganza Thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote:He's said he would fight a subpoena. You seem to think if Democrats subpoenaed him, he would show up the next day.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1XH2BU

If Bolton wants a court ruling specifically on his testimony, it will take months for it to be ruled on - like McGahn's was.

The only way he testified in the next few months is if Roberts makes him. Slim chance... but, I think it's the best one.
Where does the fact the house didn't vote for impeachment until last night play into subpoenas?

I thought they couldn't issue subpoenas until the vote. A vote for an impeachment inquiry doesn't count.

Maybe that is why they didn't issue subpoenas. They didn't have the power.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

And the nation yawned.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Are we there yet?
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I'm OK with waiting for Bolton's book, but he probably should write it before SDNY steals his thunder.
This impeachment reminds me of the parable of the goatherd

A wolf was stalking the goatherd’s flock and the herder wanted to thwart the wolf.

So he put his entire herd to the knife to prevent them from being killed by the wolf.

(to great applause by the other goatherders)

Then months later, the starving and weakened goatherd was killed by the wolf.

The End

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It more like The Emperor's New Clothes

Of course he has nothing to hide, that's why he won't say so under oath.

quack.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
I'm OK with waiting for Bolton's book, but he probably should write it before SDNY steals his thunder.
This impeachment reminds me of the parable of the goatherd

A wolf was stalking the goatherd’s flock and the herder wanted to thwart the wolf.

So he put his entire herd to the knife to prevent them from being killed by the wolf.

(to great applause by the other goatherders)

Then months later, the starving and weakened goatherd was killed by the wolf.

The End

It more like The Emperor's New Clothes

Of course he has nothing to hide, that's why he won't say so under oath.

quack.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SeattleGriz wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:He's said he would fight a subpoena. You seem to think if Democrats subpoenaed him, he would show up the next day.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1XH2BU

If Bolton wants a court ruling specifically on his testimony, it will take months for it to be ruled on - like McGahn's was.

The only way he testified in the next few months is if Roberts makes him. Slim chance... but, I think it's the best one.
Where does the fact the house didn't vote for impeachment until last night play into subpoenas?

I thought they couldn't issue subpoenas until the vote. A vote for an impeachment inquiry doesn't count.

Huh? A committee can issue a subpoena whenever a committee wants to. There doesn't have to be an impeachment vote to issue a subpoena. :suspicious:

Usually someone is asked to testify. If they refuse and the committee needs their testimony, they issue a subpoena. This is for any and all investigations... not just of the President.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:

Huh? A committee can issue a subpoena whenever a committee wants to. There doesn't have to be an impeachment vote to issue a subpoena. :suspicious:

Usually someone is asked to testify. If they refuse and the committee needs their testimony, they issue a subpoena. This is for any and all investigations... not just of the President.

Nancy is talking about not sending over the articles for a while. Good move - let him keep tweeting
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

And negotiate some terms :nod:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Dow - Up
Gold - Up
Oil - Up
Trump's Rating - Up
Employment - Up

Man, this impeachment thingy really sucks for the country.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

When does the movement to impeach Pence start?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

HI54UNI wrote:When does the movement to impeach Pence start?
It has already started.

Adam Schiff Has Unfinished Business With Mike Pence Over Classified Evidence: 'Will the Cover Up Succeed?'
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff has said he will continue pushing to uncover evidence detailing Vice President Mike Pence's involvement in President Donald Trump's alleged efforts to extort Ukraine, after his colleagues voted to impeach Trump on two counts.
https://www.newsweek.com/adam-schiff-un ... ed-1478201
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

The funny thing about this impeachment is that Trump has broken so many norms of both politicians and the president that getting impeached is pretty mundane by comparison. In a few months no one will remember it and it won't be a net positive or negative for Trump because we'll all be talking about whatever controversial or crazy things he has been doing. The fact that donks may not turn the impeachment over to the Senate just solidifies that it's for show.

IMO there is one reason where the impeachment makes sense to me politically....to avoid giving ammo to Bernie and Lizzie supporters who will attack the party elites and leadership as not being willing to stand up to Trumpy McBushitlerburton.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:

Okay. Got my story straight now. What I was trying to say is that the Dems never issued a subpoenas, nor was their impeachment inquiry really an inquiry.

This has all been for show because they don't want the other side to tell their version.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

Nancy is talking about not sending over the articles for a while. Good move - let him keep tweeting
Good move eh?

Boy you could purify uranium at the speed you guys are spinning

Advice from friendly media:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/18/poli ... ald-trump/
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Good move eh?

Yup. This may be why either going with a censure or just waiting for the election may have been the better option. Barring some tangible crime (murder, falsifying evidence, running an organized crime syndicate), the Senate was never going to remove him anyway. So impeachment was basically a censure anyway. Problem now, though, is it looks silly to insist that Trump is such a danger to our country, impeach him, and then just stop there rather than moving on to the next step. How much of a danger could he be if those who profess him to be that won't continue with the process? So Trump gets the benefit of rallying the base in the face of what they'll probably contend is a 4 year smear campaign to kick him out of office, now he also gets the folks that think that a never-ending impeachment campaign is a bad thing, and the Dems get stuck pleasing no one, since Trump will still be in office and they'll look like they took a step they didn't really think through to the next step. There's very little chance, if any, to flip the Senate in November, so how long will they hold on to an impeachment that won't result in removal from office in the Senate? Pelosi normally gets the politics and the jockeying for power roughly correct, but you have to wonder if she's stuck somewhere she can't get out of on this one.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Good move eh?

Yup. This may be why either going with a censure or just waiting for the election may have been the better option. Barring some tangible crime (murder, falsifying evidence, running an organized crime syndicate), the Senate was never going to remove him anyway. So impeachment was basically a censure anyway. Problem now, though, is it looks silly to insist that Trump is such a danger to our country, impeach him, and then just stop there rather than moving on to the next step. How much of a danger could he be if those who profess him to be that won't continue with the process? So Trump gets the benefit of rallying the base in the face of what they'll probably contend is a 4 year smear campaign to kick him out of office, now he also gets the folks that think that a never-ending impeachment campaign is a bad thing, and the Dems get stuck pleasing no one, since Trump will still be in office and they'll look like they took a step they didn't really think through to the next step. There's very little chance, if any, to flip the Senate in November, so how long will they hold on to an impeachment that won't result in removal from office in the Senate? Pelosi normally gets the politics and the jockeying for power roughly correct, but you have to wonder if she's stuck somewhere she can't get out of on this one.
Gotta respect her political skills even if her judgment is off - she whipped more than one red district Dem into voting themselves out of office next time around

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Why didn't they volunteer like Sondland did if they have nothing to hide?
Already explained to you, HD

Do you need the BIG LETTERS AND COLORS book explanation?
You have to have patience with Densedawg. He's a little slow.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Already explained to you, HD

Do you need the BIG LETTERS AND COLORS book explanation?
You have to have patience with Densedawg. He's a little slow.
I need to work on my interpersonal skills when dealing with people in the deep denial stages

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Good move eh?

Trump wants that acquittal and he wants it pronto and he's going to be on McConnell's ass every day until he gets it. Let him go, he can't help but fuck himself if he has enough tweets. Meanwhile a huge majority thinks the President's men should testify. Schumer may get more concessions than he would have had Nancy not made that move Because McConnell realizes the danger of an increasingly unhinged Trump's tweetstorms. But I'm looking at it from an outsider's perspective and of course don't see all the nuances that a lifelong professional bureaucrat would consider obvious. I guess we'll see in 3-4 weeks.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

I don’t think the speed of any senate acquittal will change the amount Trump tweets or what he tweets about.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Good move eh?

Trump wants that acquittal and he wants it pronto and he's going to be on McConnell's ass every day until he gets it. Let him go, he can't help but fuck himself if he has enough tweets. Meanwhile a huge majority thinks the President's men should testify. Schumer may get more concessions than he would have had Nancy not made that move Because McConnell realizes the danger of an increasingly unhinged Trump's tweetstorms. But I'm looking at it from an outsider's perspective and of course don't see all the nuances that a lifelong professional bureaucrat would consider obvious. I guess we'll see in 3-4 weeks.
If you think any of this is anything other than a net win for Trump then you're kidding yourself.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
houndawg wrote:
If you think any of this is anything other than a net win for Trump then you're kidding yourself.
The evangelicals are going soft on him - Christianity Today has called for his removal. He has a big problem: 64% of GOP voters, and 72% of Independents want him to allow his posse to testify. You know that all we're going to be hearing until Congress reconvenes after the Holidays is: "Why won't he allow his aides to exonerate him?" :coffee:

He and Moscow Mitch are going to be experiencing a rough stretch intra-personally soon and the tweets should be fabulous.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:I don’t think the speed of any senate acquittal will change the amount Trump tweets or what he tweets about.
But the more he tweets, the better for his opponents - he's losing his shit.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:

Okay. Got my story straight now. What I was trying to say is that the Dems never issued a subpoenas, nor was their impeachment inquiry really an inquiry.

This has all been for show because they don't want the other side to tell their version.
The President can tell his version whenever he wants to. I'd like to hear his version, wouldn't you? :coffee:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »