Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:15 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:38 pm

It’s not hard to see the difference. Why waste my time when there are legitimate sources?

But hey…hang your hat on him. It fits.
Because he was living in Kiev and was giving a first hand account of what was happening in Ukraine.

Legitimate sources. :rofl:
So first hand accounts from those living in Ukraine is all that’s needed to legitimize?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:58 pm

Because he was living in Kiev and was giving a first hand account of what was happening in Ukraine.

So first hand accounts from those living in Ukraine who agree with the MAQA perspective is all that’s needed to legitimize?
FYP. I'm pretty sure SG would dismiss Jelly's reports from connections in Ukraine and russia.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:25 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:09 pm

Try again. Only 10% of Russia approved of him.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/120 ... ge-russia/

You know, I should get paid every time I have to educate you on a topic because your TDS prevents any objectivity.
BDKKKaren would tell you you're wrong by nitpicking that the 10% number was for russians over the age of 55 and was focused on whether they approved of his activity not whether they liked him.

I don't trust data from oppressive dictatorships like russia.

Do you want to dispute russian corruption now? :coffee:
:lol: Fail.

Statista is not a Russian org, they're German.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

So first hand accounts from those living in Ukraine is all that’s needed to legitimize?
No, but your track record of picking losing issues shows you wouldn't know how to pick a "legitimate" source even if it bit you on the ass.

Did I take Lira's YouTube videos as the gospel, no, but he didn't say he was unbiased or knew it all. He was another perspective and that is always needed, especially when the Western narrative is so obviously manufactured.

You probably thought Putin was going to use tactical nukes too.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:25 pm
BDKKKaren would tell you you're wrong by nitpicking that the 10% number was for russians over the age of 55 and was focused on whether they approved of his activity not whether they liked him.

I don't trust data from oppressive dictatorships like russia.

Do you want to dispute russian corruption now? :coffee:

Did they collect that data from German citizens? Or did they collect if from citizens of a state with an oppressive dictator with well developed mechanisms for surveilling their own citizens?

No response to your fake news number of 10% don't "like" Navalny?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Been saying it for awhile. ISR has changed war.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 pm

Did they collect that data from German citizens? Or did they collect if from citizens of a state with an oppressive dictator with well developed mechanisms for surveilling their own citizens?

:lol: Seriously dude. Get your head checked.

Can you show us on an anatomically correct doll where Putin touched you? After that, how about backing up your "knowledge" of the surveillance state of Russia? Or is it going to be more of your liberal shit? Putin is an idiot savant. He so stupid, but a genius at evil doing. Puhleaze.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:00 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 pm Did they collect that data from German citizens? Or did they collect if from citizens of a state with an oppressive dictator with well developed mechanisms for surveilling their own citizens?

Can you show us on an anatomically correct doll where Putin touched you? After that, how about backing up your "knowledge" of the surveillance state of Russia? Or is it going to be more of your liberal shit? Putin is an idiot savant. He so stupid, but a genius at evil doing. Puhleaze.
I don't have personal knowledge of russia's surveillance state but lot's people have written about it.

The cyber gulag: How Russia tracks, censors and controls its citizens

‘They Are Watching’: Inside Russia’s Vast Surveillance State

Russia’s Surveillance State

russia is an oppressive and repressive dictatorship. Do you really want to argue that it isn't a surveillance state?

And you continue to carry the dictator's water. Maybe you should think about doing all those things you've told biden voters to do to themselves to atone.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:53 pm

I don't have personal knowledge of russia's surveillance state but lot's people have written about it.

The cyber gulag: How Russia tracks, censors and controls its citizens

‘They Are Watching’: Inside Russia’s Vast Surveillance State

Russia’s Surveillance State

russia is an oppressive and repressive dictatorship. Do you really want to argue that it isn't a surveillance state?

And you continue to carry the dictator's water. Maybe you should think about doing all those things you've told biden voters to do to themselves to atone.
Where did Putin touch you?

You didn't have a problem with our own government illegally surveiling Trump, hypocrite.

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:28 pm

He sure did fuck up his weekend jaunt to Kiev by deciding to go ahead with his invasion after Trump lost in a landslide. He should have waited unil later this year to see if Trump gets back in power - he could have rolled Poland and the Baltics too along with Ukraine after Trump pulled us out of NATO.

Yeah - he's a real geopolitical grand master. :jack:

As for evil genius, thats a bit too much credit for the bloodthirsty little creep.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:18 pm

No, but your track record of picking losing issues shows you wouldn't know how to pick a "legitimate" source even if it bit you on the ass.

Did I take Lira's YouTube videos as the gospel, no, but he didn't say he was unbiased or knew it all. He was another perspective and that is always needed, especially when the Western narrative is so obviously manufactured.

You probably thought Putin was going to use tactical nukes too.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Interview with Rajan Menon | Invasion of Ukraine has proved to be a disastrous decision
I sometimes tell friends, only partly joking, that in a weird way, Putin has been unwittingly, that is, accidentally, one of the main contributors to modern Ukrainian nationalism. He has reformed and reframed a Ukrainian identity that is stronger than before. Let’s assume that the war ends—now, I’m not predicting this, especially because American aid is now in doubt—with Russia retaining some proportion of Ukraine’s territory. Whatever remains of Ukraine, and quite a bit will remain, will irrevocably lean Westward. Young Ukrainians will all learn English or European languages, with their entire outlook toward the West. In that sense, no matter the military outcome of the war, Putin has lost Ukraine. There’s not going to be a Ukraine heading toward Russia. The defining characteristic of Ukrainian nationalism will be opposition to Russia.
Rajan Menon

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:46 am

He sure did fuck up his weekend jaunt to Kiev by deciding to go ahead with his invasion after Trump lost in a landslide. He should have waited unil later this year to see if Trump gets back in power - he could have rolled Poland and the Baltics too along with Ukraine after Trump pulled us out of NATO.

As for evil genius, thats a bit too much credit for the bloodthirsty little creep.
He's stomping the shit out of our State Department and the Neocons plans.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:44 pm

By losing hundreds of thousands of troops and equipment that cost us a pittance of our budget?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:08 pm

By losing hundreds of thousands of troops and equipment that cost us a pittance of our budget?
:lol: There you go again, spouting claims from your "legitimate" sources.

You really need to read up on the ratio of deaths when fighting a primarily artillery war, with one side having a clear advantage.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:29 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:08 pm

You really need to read up on the ratio of deaths when fighting a primarily artillery war, with one side having a clear advantage.
Is anyone disputing Russia has lost a ton of men and equipment in their three day operation?

Link?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:52 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:29 pm

Is anyone disputing Russia has lost a ton of men and equipment in their three day operation?

Link?
Who said it was a three day operation?

In regards to a link, open a military strategy book and educate yourself for once. It's a well documented fact based on previous artillery battles that the winning side inflicts casualties at a rate of 1 lost to 9 killed.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:25 pm

Link?

In regards to a link, open a military strategy book and educate yourself for once. It's a well documented fact based on previous artillery battles that the winning side inflicts casualties at a rate of 1 lost to 9 killed.
And?
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Link?

I'm guessing that the source of your butthurt, this time, is Al Smirnov's connection to Russian intelligence? Yeah, you look pretty stupid, but, hey, it can happen to anybody.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:25 pm

And?
And you didn't answer my question. Who from the Russian government said it was going to be a three day war, and secondly, by actually being informed of artillery wars, it's obvious Russia has been pounding the snot out of Ukraine.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:24 am

I'm guessing that the source of your butthurt, this time, is Al Smirnov's connection to Russian intelligence? Yeah, you look pretty stupid, but, hey, it can happen to anybody.
As Capn Cat used to say, "boy, go out and study up and report back when you learn something".

Smirnov has nothing to do with artillery casualty ratios, but I now see you aren't bright enough to make that connection.

Your non sequiturs are better than StUnis though, so there is that.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:08 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:25 pm
And?
And you didn't answer my question. Who from the Russian government said it was going to be a three day war, and secondly, by actually being informed of artillery wars, it's obvious Russia has been pounding the snot out of Ukraine.
How Russia and Ukraine's Losses Compare
U.S. officials said in August that the combined total of fighters killed or wounded on both sides came in around 500,000. This figure will now be significantly higher. In late January, Britain's armed forces minister, James Heappey, told U.K. lawmakers that Russia had sustained around 350,000 casualties in Ukraine. Tens of thousands of mercenaries serving with the Wagner Group—which were influential in operations to take the Donetsk city of Bakhmut in May 2023—were also killed and injured, Heappey said.

Ukraine's casualties are opaque. In August 2023, U.S. officials told The New York Times that around 70,000 Ukrainian soldiers had been killed, with up to 120,000 wounded.
The materiel losses have been stacking up more widely. Russian equipment losses are, by Kyiv's count, sky high—Russia has lost 6,523 tanks, plus nearly 12,400 armored vehicles and 9,867 artillery systems, per the Ukrainian military's Thursday figures.

By Russia's numbers, Ukraine has lost 15,149 tanks and armored vehicles, as well as more than 8,100 artillery systems.

Earlier this month, a leading think tank said Russia had now lost more tanks on the battlefield in Ukraine than it had operational when Moscow's forces rolled into Ukraine in 2022.
Ravaged by war, Russia's army is rebuilding with surprising speed
Only nine months ago, American intelligence officials were telling the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee that it would take a decade — or more — for Moscow to recover from the staggering losses inflicted by Ukrainian defenders. The German Council on Foreign Relations refined that estimate last fall, warning that the window would be more like five to eight years.

"They are sparing no effort in their reconstitution," Gen. Christopher Cavoli, NATO's supreme allied commander, said last month after a meeting of the alliance's chiefs of defence staff.

"They are devoting an enormous fraction of their budget to the military over the coming years, next year specifically, and they are running their defence industrial base just as fast as they can right now."

Other top military commanders also acknowledge the shift but qualify their assessment by saying that while Moscow is churning out quantity, it may not be achieving quality.

"The number of [Russian] forces that have been going into Ukraine has increased over the last two and a half years, but qualitatively it is going down in terms of the land domain — and that is both in their capabilities and in the personnel capabilities," said Dutch Admiral Rob Bauer, the chair of NATO's military council.

"It has more people, but it's less trained than when they started the war in the land domain. They lost a lot of tanks, a lot of armoured vehicles, they've lost airplanes, they lost helicopters ... a lot of equipment."

Last week, a senior U.S. Pentagon official estimated that as many as 315,000 Russian soldiers have died or been wounded since the full invasion on Feb. 24, 2022 — essentially the entire army with which Russia started the war.
A more accurate assessment is that they're pounding the snot out of each other.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:16 pm

U.S. officials said in August that the combined total of fighters killed or wounded on both sides came in around 500,000. This figure will now be significantly higher. In late January, Britain's armed forces minister, James Heappey, told U.K. lawmakers that Russia had sustained around 350,000 casualties in Ukraine. Tens of thousands of mercenaries serving with the Wagner Group—which were influential in operations to take the Donetsk city of Bakhmut in May 2023—were also killed and injured, Heappey said.

Ukraine's casualties are opaque. In August 2023, U.S. officials told The New York Times that around 70,000 Ukrainian soldiers had been killed, with up to 120,000 wounded.
The materiel losses have been stacking up more widely. Russian equipment losses are, by Kyiv's count, sky high—Russia has lost 6,523 tanks, plus nearly 12,400 armored vehicles and 9,867 artillery systems, per the Ukrainian military's Thursday figures.

By Russia's numbers, Ukraine has lost 15,149 tanks and armored vehicles, as well as more than 8,100 artillery systems.

Earlier this month, a leading think tank said Russia had now lost more tanks on the battlefield in Ukraine than it had operational when Moscow's forces rolled into Ukraine in 2022.
Only nine months ago, American intelligence officials were telling the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee that it would take a decade — or more — for Moscow to recover from the staggering losses inflicted by Ukrainian defenders. The German Council on Foreign Relations refined that estimate last fall, warning that the window would be more like five to eight years.

"They are sparing no effort in their reconstitution," Gen. Christopher Cavoli, NATO's supreme allied commander, said last month after a meeting of the alliance's chiefs of defence staff.

"They are devoting an enormous fraction of their budget to the military over the coming years, next year specifically, and they are running their defence industrial base just as fast as they can right now."

Other top military commanders also acknowledge the shift but qualify their assessment by saying that while Moscow is churning out quantity, it may not be achieving quality.

"The number of [Russian] forces that have been going into Ukraine has increased over the last two and a half years, but qualitatively it is going down in terms of the land domain — and that is both in their capabilities and in the personnel capabilities," said Dutch Admiral Rob Bauer, the chair of NATO's military council.

"It has more people, but it's less trained than when they started the war in the land domain. They lost a lot of tanks, a lot of armoured vehicles, they've lost airplanes, they lost helicopters ... a lot of equipment."

Last week, a senior U.S. Pentagon official estimated that as many as 315,000 Russian soldiers have died or been wounded since the full invasion on Feb. 24, 2022 — essentially the entire army with which Russia started the war.
How are US sources getting the casualty numbers?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:16 pm

That seems like a ton of losses for an “artillery war”.