I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Re: Biden’s Scorecard

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:40 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:12 am

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/ ... -in-music/

Best Bass players of all time

2: Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney made a trademark out of the supple, lyrical bassline more than any rock player before or since, and that’s on “Paperback Writer” alone. As one of the best bass players in history, he played both lead and rhythm, and did it all ridiculously well – a trademark of everything The Beatles did.
John Entwhistle was lead guitar for the Who and he could play rings around McCartney ..... :coffee:

McCartney is a great musician especially at songwriting and deserves his spot on Mt Rushmore
I hadn’t got to the fact that Paul actually wrote his massive playlist of legendary songs ….

Thank you for recognizing the living legend
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:12 am
kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:06 am

Post the top 10.

Off the top of my head:

Grace Slick
Anne Wilson
Eddie Vedder
Simon LeBon
Linda Ronstadt
Iris Dement
Bonnie Raitt
Layne Staley
Mark Lanegan
Dan Smith
Debbie Harry
James Mercer
Alison Moyet
Daryl Hall
Elliot Smith
Robert Plant
John Lennon
Brandon Flowers
Neko Case
Kurt Cobain
Jeff Lynne
Paul’s greatness his his unmatched versatility and all those you mention lap Paul’s balls at any opportunity

A crooner that kicked off Heavy Metal … Helter Skelter
lol no. You were talking vocalists, not versatility.

A Day in the Life > Helter Skelter
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:37 am

Paul’s greatness his his unmatched versatility and all those you mention lap Paul’s balls at any opportunity

I’m talking about a living legend and pointing out his broad spectrum of talent … so let’s not nit pick it
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:14 am
kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:37 am

I’m talking about a living legend and pointing out his broad spectrum of talent … so let’s not nit pick it
Dude, you’re the one who posted the 100 greatest vocalists of all time.

Are you taking crazy pills right now or just forgetful?

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:40 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:14 am

Some people want to fill the world with Silly Memes…

What was the next line of that song?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 am
kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:40 am

Some people want to fill the world with confusing questions.

Which song are you asking about?

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:48 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 am

Your response just proves that you should not be commenting on Paul McCartney… don’t worry it’s not your fault …you’re too young to remember the 70s
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:20 am

John Entwhistle was lead guitar for the Who and he could play rings around McCartney ..... :coffee:

McCartney is a great musician especially at songwriting and deserves his spot on Mt Rushmore
I hadn’t got to the fact that Paul actually wrote his massive playlist of legendary songs ….

I recognized his genius before you were born. And John Entwistle will always be 10 times the bass guitarist. :coffee:
You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by c squared. Then you energy.

"I really love America. I just don't know how to get there anymore."John Prine
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:34 am

Your response just proves that you should not be commenting on Paul McCartney… don’t worry it’s not your fault …you’re too young to remember the 70s
...you don't seem to remember much either.

The Beatles were actually late to the party. Bob Dylan set them on the path and you can tell exactly when by their music.

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Don’t forget what Ringo recently said about Paul….

The truth!!!!

“In a video interview released along with the cover story, the drummer also sung his praises of McCartney’s work ethic and credited him for the amount of celebrated output that The Beatles released during their time as a group from 1962 to 1970. “Paul loved to work more than all of us,” he shared in the clip. “John and I would be, like, hanging out in the garden and the phone would ring and we knew it was him.”

“‘Hey lads, should we go into the studio?” ‘Alright, yeah,’” he continued, making an impression of the interaction. “I’ve always thanked him for being that guy because otherwise we’d have put, like, three albums out and vanished.”
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

You were alive then yet here we are! :lol:
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:59 pm

Yep

Maybe you should shut up and listen for just once :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:09 pm
kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:59 pm

Yep

Says the guy obsessed with Biden and Paul.

I listen. I just disagree a bit. I like all of the Beatles. George being my favorite.

Sum of the parts. It was more than just Paul. Thought you should know.
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:21 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:09 pm

Yep

I listen. I just disagree a bit. I like all of the Beatles. George being my favorite.

Do you know the story about how Paul helped George on his song The Taxman?

George had some really good songs for sure and some vicious lyrics and went to high school with Paul… Paul made George famous
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:36 am

I recognized his genius before you were born. And John Entwistle will always be 10 times the bass guitarist. :coffee:
You do have moments of unbiased and accurate clarity!

For me, I had some vague idea who the Beatles were circa 1970 as my mother had an old 45 record of Let it Be and I remember being kind of fascinated by that green Apple, no idea who Paul McCartney was yet but I was only 7

But then about 1975, I connected the dots…. That band named Wings seemed to be putting out a lot of good music and big hits and I liked them. Ironically, I didn’t like the Beatles at all because our music teacher played Lucy in the sky with diamonds, and I told him Elton John’s version is much better and the Beatles sounded like the chipmunks and he chuckled and proceeded to give me a lesson that I’ll never forget.

it kind of went like this….

So tell the class what band do you like?

I proudly proclaimed …. Wings…. I didn’t even know Paul McCartney was the front man at that time.

So basically, after I insulted the Beatles and praised them in the same sentence, he deservedly laughed me out of the room……. :lol:

So it was 1975 when I became “obsessed” with McCartney and a lot of that had to do with looking back and discovering the Beatles and learning that my favorite band Wings was even better than I thought because they were Paul McCartney and Wings
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:24 am
houndawg wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:36 am

For me, I had some vague idea who the Beatles were circa 1970 as my mother had an old 45 record of Let it Be and I remember being kind of fascinated by that green Apple, no idea who Paul McCartney was yet but I was only 7

But then about 1975, I connected the dots…. That band named Wings seemed to be putting out a lot of good music and big hits and I liked them. Ironically, I didn’t like the Beatles at all because our music teacher played Lucy in the sky with diamonds, and I told him Elton John’s version is much better and the Beatles sounded like the chipmunks and he chuckled and proceeded to give me a lesson that I’ll never forget.

I proudly proclaimed …. Wings…. I didn’t even know Paul McCartney was the front man at that time.

So basically, after I insulted the Beatles and praised them in the same sentence, he deservedly laughed me out of the room……. :lol:

So it was 1975 when I became “obsessed” with McCartney and a lot of that had to do with looking back and discovering the Beatles and learning that my favorite band Wings was even better than I thought because they were Paul McCartney and Wings
You’re barely older than me. :coffee:

My introduction was in 1981 on a road trip with my older brother. We listened to the Beatles, blondie, the Go-Go’s Talking Heads and early REM.

My appreciation would grow in the early 90’s with my boss who graduated hs in 1971. Massive Beatles fan and especially John. Sargent Pepper was and still is my favorite album to this day.

My oldest now is a huge fan but he appreciates the Kinks and Pink Floyd every bit as much. Although he’s more of a Waters fan while I’m a Gilmour guy. Kind of a reversal from the John vs. Paul debate with Lennon and Waters being the asshole artists and Paul and Gilmour being the nice guys.

I get why you’re a Paul fan. To each his own.
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:52 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:24 am

My introduction was in 1981 on a road trip with my older brother. We listened to the Beatles, blondie, the Go-Go’s Talking Heads and early REM.

My appreciation would grow in the early 90’s with my boss who graduated hs in 1971. Massive Beatles fan and especially John. Sargent Pepper was and still is my favorite album to this day.

My oldest now is a huge fan but he appreciates the Kinks and Pink Floyd every bit as much. Although he’s more of a Waters fan while I’m a Gilmour guy. Kind of a reversal from the John vs. Paul debate with Lennon and Waters being the asshole artists and Paul and Gilmour being the nice guys.

I like your story and don’t get me wrong… Pink Floyd is one of my favorites and I have a great appreciation for all types of music and artist. Admittedly the cool crowd in high school were not really the biggest McCartney fans, at that time it seemed Lennon was the “fav” Beatle and dare I say perpetuated by the media? Over time though, most music historians have seen the truth about the Beatles and Paul was definitely the right guy to carry the torch
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:39 pm
kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:21 pm

Do you know the story about how Paul helped George on his song The Taxman?

George had some really good songs for sure and some vicious lyrics and went to high school with Paul… Paul made George famous
This is about as accurate as the "Ringo wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles" bullshit.

George wasn't "made famous" by Paul or anybody else. He put in the work and paid his dues on the road just like the rest of the band. This jive about it all being Paul is exactly that. Wings, not the Beatles, is the band that owes their success to Paul already being famous - and except for Linda they were hired guns on salary. :ohno:

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:40 am
kalm wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:52 am

I like your story and don’t get me wrong… Pink Floyd is one of my favorites and I have a great appreciation for all types of music and artist. Admittedly the cool crowd in high school were not really the biggest McCartney fans, at that time it seemed Lennon was the “fav” Beatle and dare I say perpetuated by the media? Over time though, most music historians have seen the truth about the Beatles and Paul was definitely the right guy to carry the torch
Pink Floyd said about all they had to say before DSOTM - the essentials are Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Meddle. Add Atom Heart Mother and Obscured by Clouds and you've got the cream.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:59 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:40 am

Pink Floyd said about all they had to say before DSOTM - the essentials are Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Meddle. Add Atom Heart Mother and Obscured by Clouds and you've got the cream.
All of this!

Free Four
Fearless
Echoes

Some great stuff!
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:02 am

All of this!

Free Four
Fearless
Echoes

Some great stuff!
Fearless is their best song, imo

I saw the DSOTM tour in San Francisco at the Cow Palace - they started with Wish You Were Here, Welcome to the Machine, and Shine on You Crazy Diamond which hadn't been released yet, then played DSOTM before their encore, a 45 minute version of Echoes.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

All of this!

Free Four
Fearless
Echoes

Some great stuff!

I saw the DSOTM tour in San Francisco at the Cow Palace - they started with Wish You Were Here, Welcome to the Machine, and Shine on You Crazy Diamond which hadn't been released yet, then played DSOTM before their encore, a 45 minute version of Echoes.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:10 am

All of this!

Free Four
Fearless
Echoes

Some great stuff!

:notworthy:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

A large fraction of which he had help with from another songwriter. :coffee:

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:06 am

Post the top 10.

Off the top of my head:

Grace Slick
Anne Wilson
Eddie Vedder
Simon LeBon
Linda Ronstadt
Iris Dement
Bonnie Raitt
Layne Staley
Mark Lanegan
Dan Smith
Debbie Harry
James Mercer
Alison Moyet
Daryl Hall
Elliot Smith
Robert Plant
John Lennon
Brandon Flowers
Neko Case
Kurt Cobain
Jeff Lynne

more bullshit, San Francisco was already doing it. Credit Bob Dylan for turning on the Beatles....and ask Led Zepplin about Moby Grape - their favorite American band, with three guitarists every bit as good as Jimmy page. Your animus towards reading and learning shit is holding you way back here.