Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Trump vs Harris

Post by UNI88 »

Factors of global inflation in 2021–2022
Although the release of deferred demand would almost inevitably have led to an increase in prices, the increase would not have been so great if a policy of fiscal and monetary stimulus that was unprecedented in scale had not been introduced.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA - putting the Q into qrazy qanon qonspiracy theories since 2015.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:41 am
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:33 am These are extremely solid ideas…if implemented. As long as you’re into capitalism, competition, and independently owned businesses. Which I am.

So solid that the tweet was deleted?
Let’s try again…

Well damn. It’s a Matt Stoller tweet…not sure what the issue is but it cites a part of Harris’s plan and says:

1/2. The Harris economic agenda positives are that she attacks.

- price-fixing conspirator RealPage and corporate landlords for rent-fixing
- Big mergers in the food industry
- Pharmacy benefit managers that screw independent pharmacies.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:47 am Factors of global inflation in 2021–2022
Although the release of deferred demand would almost inevitably have led to an increase in prices, the increase would not have been so great if a policy of fiscal and monetary stimulus that was unprecedented in scale had not been introduced.
That’s a more reasonable argument. Now…what would have been the economic effects of no stimulus or less stimulus?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:05 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:47 am Factors of global inflation in 2021–2022
That’s a more reasonable argument. Now…what would have been the economic effects of no stimulus or less stimulus?
I don't think that argument is at odds with what Ganny's been saying.

The original stimulus bills weren't nearly as detrimental as the last two. Those were unnecessary and the oxymoronically named Inflation Reduction Act was just throwing gasoline on the fire.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:11 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 5:40 pm

A doctor needed a landlord? This story is already off to a bad start.
Why is a Dr. having a landlord off to bad start.
A doctor is so destitute they need to rent?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:56 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 5:40 pm

A doctor needed a landlord? This story is already off to a bad start.
Things were different efore your time, son.
Was that doctor working for free?

Let's see your proof the doctor had a landlord.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:31 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:29 am

Everything is pegged to the US

When you pull back the curtain you’ll see Joey Rotten back there, his damage was not contained to the States
Sshhh…quiet. Adults are talking about economics here.
Yeah, the same adult known as Kalm who always argues the same thing month after month and loses every time

A month later you try the same old beaten down argument again

:lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:48 am

The kind that signs off on phony medical exams might. Or the pill dealers (see John Mullaney’s bit on his “DOCTOR”. Or what’s going on right now with the Mathew Perry case.

And it’s NYC. I’m sure it wasn’t unheard of then or now.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:48 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:49 am

The doctor's daughters have confirmed that fred was their father's landlord. I know it's not video/irrefutable proof but it's as good or better than anything CH has provided for his claims about biden. :D

Are you attempting to distract attention from fred's relationship with the doctor because the doctor rented his office space rather than owning it? I would imagine that's pretty common in an urban area like NYC.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

The Fed's independence emerges as a clear dividing line for Harris and Trump
When Donald Trump raised the prospect last week of having "a say" in Federal Reserve actions, he set off a debate between the two presidential campaigns that elevated the central bank into a key 2024 campaign issue.

First, Vice President Kamala Harris responded she would "never interfere." Then, JD Vance doubled down on the idea even as economic experts warned that political interference in monetary policy is a bad idea.

Trump's running mate said, in a CNN interview, that the former president had said something "really important and actually profound" and that monetary policy "should fundamentally be a political decision."
No jd, it shouldn't.

Bobcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by Bobcat »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:45 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:05 am Those prices don't mean anything without context, especially since salaries outpaced inflation post-2021. The pandemic was the culprit for big inflation in 2021, and that was a global problem. The US weathered the storm better than most countries and avoided a recession.

Btw I go to Lidl for groceries and looked up my local prices: $2.59 for a gallon of milk and $1.69 for a stick of butter. I don't buy cookies.
The pandemic absolutely did not cause the inflation bump in 2021 and beyond. Inflation is always a money supply issue and the biggest culprit for that was the decision by the Biden administration to go all in on Modern Monetary Theory and flood the market with more government spending. $1.9 trillion added to the economy early in the Biden administration, purportedly as "COVID relief", to an economy that was already well on the road to recovery after the pandemic pause - GDP was up 34.8% in 3Q 2020, 4.2% 4Q 2020, and 5.4% in 1Q 2021 - real GDP was already back to pre-pandemic highs before Biden even spent a dime. As for salaries outpacing inflation since post 2021, that's a canard as well. The real issue is real wages, i.e. the buying power of money. We're still negative in terms of real wages over the Biden years - the reason why so many folks, especially the middle and lower class, feel economic pain still today is that they are able to afford less today than they did 4 years ago. The rich folks are doing great today, ironically, because the reckless increase in spending inflated their stock holdings. The gap between the well-off and everyone else in America has only grown in the past four years thanks to ill-advised over spending.

Harris may very well win in November, and considering that Trump is a loathsome lunatic I'm not going to shed any tears over that. But to pretend in any way that the economic policies of the Biden administration have been anything but disastrous is disingenuous and ignores the plain economic data that is right in front of us.
Crushed it. :thumb:
Bobcat
Level2
Level2

Post by Bobcat »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:00 am
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:31 am

Sshhh…quiet. Adults are talking about economics here.
Yeah, the same adult known as Kalm who always argues the same thing month after month and loses every time

It is a funny curb stopping every time though
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:53 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:49 am

Economists were already warning folks back in December of 2020 that the economy was already heating up and in danger of overheating, and that was when Trump was pushing through his own version of COVID relief in the lame duck session. That was already a mistake. Biden, two months later, doubled down on that mistake and went even further with a much larger stimulus well after the first one was already too much. None of this is even debatable at this point, the outcome of this is plain to see. The economy had roared back, even with the issues you lay out from the pandemic. Inserting a historic amount of government spending on top of that simply created too much money going after too few goods/services that of course results in the rise of prices. That's simple economics there.

You now had too much money chasing too few goods and services. Yes, lock downs in other countries contributed to that but that's why you don't throw more money into the market when there isn't enough to buy. We already had a surge of money coming in from COVID savings from the pandemic, so more government spending was just fuel for the inflation fire. Yes, all those other pandemic related things (backed up ports, lockdowns in Asia, etc) already were known when we decided to be historic and stimulate the economy with at least another $1.9 trillion. And it didn't help that part of that spending spree included incentives to keep labor on the sidelines with vastly extended unemployment benefits and other measures - when we needed people going back to work in a thriving economy we gave enough people incentive to wait to re-enter, further exacerbating the labor shortage.

Corporate greed played absolutely no part until after the inflation was already out of the barn. If corporations just willy-nilly jacked up prices in a stable economy, people would just buy less of it. However, once the government unleashed inflation into the economy and upsetting the stableness, then all bets were off. Sure, some of it was just pure greed (and again, not just big corporations but with anyone selling anything) - people realized they could increase prices and they could use the inflation everyone knew about as cover for raising prices. But a lot of it was also market uncertainty - some of these supply chains are 18-24 months long. I could order something today and it would take 1-2 years before it comes to me. Well, if I know inflation is on the rise, I don't know what that will cost me 1-2 years from now. To cover myself, I'm going to raise my prices now so that I can hope to afford the thing that will take long to get to me. That happened all throughout the economy as there was no longer any certainty of what something would cost tomorrow, a month, or months down the road. You take your best bet and hope you don't underestimate what the cost would be. That keeps inflation going, but inflation doesn't start that way, it's only perpetuated that way. The big mistake was letting inflation start in the first place and that was with the policy blunder to inject a massive stimulus into an already hot economy.

Again, there were plenty of economists at the time, before we passed any of these stimulus measures, saying the economy was already roaring back. The data in GDP growth is clear as day that the economy was back. There were plenty of people warning of inflation, and even more so if we tried to juice the economy like Biden eventually did. His administration then spent the next year trying to convince everyone that transitory inflation was a thing and not to pay any attention to the real impacts of inflation in the economy. And given that we're the largest economy in the world, of course inflation here would have knock-down impacts on most every other economy in the world. Modern Monetary Theory got a full-on dress rehearsal on a macro scale, and it failed historically, and we're still dealing with the impacts of it now with still negative real wages over the past 4 years and increased societal spread between the well-off and everyone else. Given that the rich made off so much better than everyone else in this economy it's shocking that it was a Democratic party initiative that caused all of this. But it's hard to argue against the data we see now.
:nod:
Ditto. + another 1.2 trillion in the so called infrastructure bill (most of which wasn’t traditional infrastructure) and .75 trillion in the so called ‘Inflation Reduction Act’ ie New Green Deal most of which wasn’t inflation reducing.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

‘White guy tacos’ :lol: So cringeworthy awkwardly staged. Comments are golden..
Bobcat
Level2
Level2

Post by Bobcat »

No wonder #HoeBama likes #TamponTim so much. They are both inept and well below average in intelligence. Birds of a feather are commies together.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Bobcat wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:47 pm No wonder #HoeBama likes #TamponTim so much. They are both inept and well below average in intelligence. Birds of a feather are commies together.
HoeBama and TamponTim :ohno: I thought we'd learned our lesson that calling people derogatory names can lead to assassination attempts and that we shouldn't stoop so low. :coffee:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GOP pollster Frank Luntz: Trump needs to stop behaving like ‘petulant child’
“Look, if I yell at you every time you have me on, you’ll stop having me on and you’ll stop listening,” Luntz said on CNN.

“Trump doesn’t understand that. People have to tell him the truth, because at this point she’s got her convention bounce before the convention, and I think Harris could have a 5- or 6-point lead coming out of that convention if Donald Trump continues to behave the way that he has,” he added, in a clip highlighted by Mediaite.
Can trump change his behavior after 70+ years?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Lol
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

What a hypocrite.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Bobcat wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:50 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:00 am

Do you have any idea how much this warms my heart coming from you two.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Same plan. Spot the difference.
Bobcat
Level2
Level2

Post by Bobcat »

kalm wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:42 pm
Bobcat wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:50 am

Do you know how little I care?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Bobcat wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:04 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 2:42 pm

Do you know how little I care?
Could you care less? :lol:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:23 pm ‘White guy tacos’ :lol: So cringeworthy awkwardly staged. Comments are golden..
Just wait for next week’s staged pandering campaugn ad of ‘Hey we eat food so we’re normal’ Walz will be talking about how he eats not spicy fried chicken and watermelon…
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:49 am

Yeah I'll get right on that. :lol:

Common knowledge readily available. :coffee:
You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by c squared. Then you energy.

"I really love America. I just don't know how to get there anymore."John Prine