Political discussions
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Re: Trump vs Harris

Post by Caribbean Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:46 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:05 am I actually watched much of this debate.
  • When doneOLD went first, moderators repeatedly gave him the opportunity to respond after harris spoke (i.e. he frequently spoke last on a topic).
  • harris did a good job of being composed and positive. She also did well at getting under doneOLD's skin, getting him off message and making him scowl.
  • harris was light on policy details.
  • I'm not sure if doneOLD can take advantage of this considering he's been talking about replacing ObamaCare for 8 years and when asked for a plan all he could say was that they have concepts or something like that.
I think I watched all but the first 20 minutes - DVR was funky last night.

The biggest win for Harris is that she looked competent. She didn't really flub much, she looked composed, and spoke pretty well. She had to look like she could be President and she certainly looked like she could. Her biggest weaknesses are that she doesn't have a lot of details about pretty much anything and that she has to distance herself or defend herself for the current administration's woes. She danced around that sufficiently in this debate.

For Trump, well, he was Trump. Petulant, juvenile, and rambling. In his defense, he basically looked and acted like he always does. He's never been a policy wonk, obviously, so he's not terribly good at talking about policy. But last night won't make people who've ever voted for him or were leaning for him already not to vote for him in November. His flaw last night was that he didn't really hit on Harris's weaknesses until his closing statement. You could hear the spin folks after the debate say a lot of the stuff Trump could've said during the debate, but since he's so volatile he never got around to it.

Debates, unless you have a Biden debacle, tend not to have huge impacts anymore. Partisans on either side won't be impacted by last night, Trump didn't win any new folks to his side last night, and Harris might've. In what's bound to be a super tight election, that could mean something if enough of those folks live in the battleground states.
She gave an Academy award worthy performance, no doubt

She showed her democratic potential as she is already rivaling Biden for serial liar, he taught her well

One thing I noticed about her though was that smug and ear to ear I dont really give a shit grin on her face when Trump was reminding her about all the people that are dead because of her open borders and 2 1/2 year support for a horrific war in the Ukraine…. She could care a less

Ironic that big hearted compassionate Trump scowls for the entire debate while ice water Rosemary’s Baby Krumbella Harris smiled and came across as if she’s sweet as Southern tea…. Lmao so wrong

Trump is toast
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

• When doneOLD went first, moderators repeatedly gave him the opportunity to respond after harris spoke (i.e. he frequently spoke last on a topic).
  • harris did a good job of being composed and positive. She also did well at getting under doneOLD's skin, getting him off message and making him scowl.
  • I'm not sure if doneOLD can take advantage of this considering he's been talking about replacing ObamaCare for 8 years and when asked for a plan all he could say was that they have concepts or something like that.

The biggest win for Harris is that she looked competent. She didn't really flub much, she looked composed, and spoke pretty well. She had to look like she could be President and she certainly looked like she could. Her biggest weaknesses are that she doesn't have a lot of details about pretty much anything and that she has to distance herself or defend herself for the current administration's woes. She danced around that sufficiently in this debate.

For Trump, well, he was Trump. Petulant, juvenile, and rambling. In his defense, he basically looked and acted like he always does. He's never been a policy wonk, obviously, so he's not terribly good at talking about policy. But last night won't make people who've ever voted for him or were leaning for him already not to vote for him in November. His flaw last night was that he didn't really hit on Harris's weaknesses until his closing statement. You could hear the spin folks after the debate say a lot of the stuff Trump could've said during the debate, but since he's so volatile he never got around to it.

Debates, unless you have a Biden debacle, tend not to have huge impacts anymore. Partisans on either side won't be impacted by last night, Trump didn't win any new folks to his side last night, and Harris might've. In what's bound to be a super tight election, that could mean something if enough of those folks live in the battleground states.
The first 20 minutes sucked my sons in and they became fully engaged.

It’s far from over but Trump last night was just as bad as Biden in June. (Besides, Biden is an afterthought of which Harris had to remind Trump) I’m guessing especially through the eyes of independents or apolitical types who have not been exposed to Trump’s social media content and are only now starting to pay attention to either candidate. To those voters, Trump was a scowling conspiracy theorist. Harris smiled and laughed and remained composed as you said.

Debates aren’t about policy much at all. They’re far more about charisma and gotchas. They’re limited as far as upside but they can hurt far more. This was a terrible night for Trump.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

I agree with all of that. I think part of why trump failed to hit on harris' weaknesses was that she was able to troll him and get him off topic. I think the first question was on immigration and she brought up his rallies. He went down the rabbit hole in his response talking about how great is rallies are rather than the biden administration's immigration fiasco.

She looked like a prosecutor calmly baiting a hostile witness. He looked like an angry old man who wants to believe the country can't survive without him.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA - putting the Q into qrazy qanon qonspiracy theories since 2015.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:41 am

It’s far from over but Trump last night was just as bad as Biden in June. (Besides, Biden is an afterthought of which Harris had to remind Trump) I’m guessing especially through the eyes of independents or apolitical types who have not been exposed to Trump’s social media content and are only now starting to pay attention to either candidate. To those voters, Trump was a scowling conspiracy theorist. Harris smiled and laughed and remained composed as you said.

Debates aren’t about policy much at all. They’re far more about charisma and gotchas. They’re limited as far as upside but they can hurt far more. This was a terrible night for Trump.
Come on, even as a neutral observer Biden had to be removed from the ticket after the June debacle. He was exposed as completely unable mentally to run again as a candidate. As bad as Trump was last night, he looks and sounds like the same loon he was when he left Washington in 2020 after trying any and all means to stay in power. It's not a good look for Trump, at least to people that already aren't his supporters, but it's a different level than the catastrophe that was Biden's. The GOP isn't running in circles desperate to remove him from the ticket the moment the debate ended. Of course, it could be to their detriment that they don't. But this is still going to be a super tight election that comes down to a handful of states.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:03 am

Come on, even as a neutral observer Biden had to be removed from the ticket after the June debacle. He was exposed as completely unable mentally to run again as a candidate. As bad as Trump was last night, he looks and sounds like the same loon he was when he left Washington in 2020 after trying any and all means to stay in power. It's not a good look for Trump, at least to people that already aren't his supporters, but it's a different level than the catastrophe that was Biden's. The GOP isn't running in circles desperate to remove him from the ticket the moment the debate ended. Of course, it could be to their detriment that they don't. But this is still going to be a super tight election that comes down to a handful of states.
:nod:

biden lost supporters after the last debate. trump won't lose any supporters after last night. harris did a better job of presenting herself to swing voters.

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

The Dems sent him out there for the June debacle because he forgot the deal was he was only going to be a one term president…. They knew very well what was about to happen

it’s pretty scandalous they knew that this dumb and demented guy was like that for years, but via teamwork with the 4th Estate protected him until he forgot he was supposed to just go to the beach after 4 years
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

The highlighted applies exactly to Trump last night from even before they began - when he tried to avoid shaking her hand but she cornered him and literally forced his hand. Exposed for a gutless bully, he wouldn't look her in the eye even once, not even while she called him a disgrace to his face and told him the world leaders she speaks with tell her he's a disgrace.

She beat his ass like a Kodo drum and what was his reply? "THEY'RE EATING THE DOGS! THEY'RE EATING THE CATS!"

Wouldn't believe it happened if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes... :ohno:

New campaign motto: Canes edunt! Feles edunt! :rofl:
You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by c squared. Then you energy.

"I really love America. I just don't know how to get there anymore."John Prine
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:15 am The Dems sent him out there for the June debacle because he forgot the deal was he was only going to be a one term president…. They knew very well what was about to happen

it’s pretty scandalous they knew that this dumb and demented guy was like that for years, but via teamwork with the 4th Estate protected him until he forgot he was supposed to just go to the beach after 4 years
Your concern for Joe s touching, and an inspiration to us all, CH. You really want your boy trump to have to go through the same thing when you can see how shrunken he looks? I mean he looked like Syd Barret staring into the camera all night to avoid eye contact with that little girl that was kicking the shit out of him right in front of god and everybody.

He's too old and way too out-of-touch with today's observable reality, CH. You know it. BDFKWT knows it. Bobcunt knows it too (but doesn't realize it yet).

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:18 am

The highlighted applies exactly to Trump last night from even before they began - when he tried to avoid shaking her hand but she cornered him and literally forced his hand. Exposed for a gutless bully, he wouldn't look her in the eye even once, not even while she called him a disgrace to his face and told him the world leaders she speaks with tell her he's a disgrace.

She beat his ass like a Kodo drum and what was his reply? "THEY'RE EATING THE DOGS! THEY'RE EATING THE CATS!"

Well, you may think that, and I may think that, but as UNI pointed out, the difference between Trump's performance last night and the Biden performance in June is that he's not losing any supporters based on last night's performance, and even the ones who were leaning Trump before are still likely to lean that way going forward. There won't be any Republican Clooney's penning an ultimatum that future fundraising will be held back unless the candidate is replaced.
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:26 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:15 am The Dems sent him out there for the June debacle because he forgot the deal was he was only going to be a one term president…. They knew very well what was about to happen

Your concern for Joe s touching, and an inspiration to us all, CH. You really want your boy trump to have to go through the same thing when you can see how shrunken he looks? I mean he looked like Syd Barret staring into the camera all night to avoid eye contact with that little girl that was kicking the shit out of him right in front of god and everybody.

He's too old and way too out-of-touch with today's observable reality, CH. You know it. BDFKWT knows it. Bobcunt knows it too (but doesn't realize it yet).
A blessing really as “Karma” Harris is a bitch

She should be the one that has to wade through Joeys and her own mess…. She deserves it
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Hey, you’re the one who tried to compare the two while attempting to downplay Trump’s bad night as less significant.

The two performances had glaring differences. Timing, ability to perform hampered by old age/senility vs. mental health and lack of intellectual curiosity, a capable back up candidate…

They were both terrible for different reasons. Biden’s cost him personally at the opportunity for a second term whereas Trump’s may cost the entire party a return to the Whitehouse not to mention increasing branding issues with women and independents.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:50 am

Well, you may think that, and I may think that, but as UNI pointed out, the difference between Trump's performance last night and the Biden performance in June is that he's not losing any supporters based on last night's performance, and even the ones who were leaning Trump before are still likely to lean that way going forward. There won't be any Republican Clooney's penning an ultimatum that future fundraising will be held back unless the candidate is replaced.
Trump will get his 47% regardless of turnout.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:07 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:50 am

Indeed, I believe he will. Of course, what will matter is does that translate into a state win in PA, GA, NV, MI, and WI. Electoral spread was 77 votes in 2016, 74 votes in 2020. Wouldn't be a shock if this one's less than 20, or closer.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:51 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:07 pm
Indeed, I believe he will. Of course, what will matter is does that translate into a state win in PA, GA, NV, MI, and WI. Electoral spread was 77 votes in 2016, 74 votes in 2020. Wouldn't be a shock if this one's less than 20, or closer.

harris has 226 likely electoral votes while trump has 219. Need 270 to win. States considered most in play:
- Arizona - 11
- Georgia - 16
- Michigan - 15
- Nevada - 6
- North Carolina - 16
- Pennsylvania - 19
- Wisconsin - 10

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

They all know how it really went. Trump is now casting doubt on another debate and citing every fringe poll showing him winning the debate 83-17.
Just after Trump’s lame spin-room performance, I encountered Trump spokesman, Tim Murtaugh, a onetime establishment type I knew a little bit. He was huddled closely with one of the Washington Examiner’s MAGA content generators, Byron York. I leaned over and observed that Murtaugh had found a friendly voice. “Byron will write you something good,” I said. As Murtaugh grimaced at me, York grunted out “Fuck you.”

Then there was Trump adviser Corey Lewandowski, who hip-checked me following a debate eight years ago. After a brief reminiscence about those spin rooms past, I asked him what he thought Trump’s best answer was at the debate. “There were so many good answers,” he said before briskly departing my company. His former partner-in-crime David Bossie was even more flummoxed by that query. “That’s a good question. You are putting me on the spot,” he said, retreating to an easier subject, the former president’s record.

The surrogate most interested in engaging with me was another old friend, Lindsey Graham. I happened to bump into him in an empty hallway just outside the spin room on my way back from our Bulwark livestream.

I asked Graham whether the debate made him more likely to come back around to our shared anti-Trump view from the glory days of 2016. Getting red-faced, the senator lashed out at me, saying I should be “ashamed” for opposing Trump. A heated back-and-forth ensued where he argued for Trump’s record and I reminded him that the Trump presidency ended with Graham running for his life from the supporters whom the former president had sicced on the Capitol.

Eventually, Graham offered a fist bump, leaned in, and with an exasperated grin gave me his candid assessment of the night: Trump’s performance was a “disaster,” Trump was unprepared, and his debate team should be fired. I concurred, made one more pass at the podcast invitation, and walked back toward the magnetometers while immediately tweeting this delicious concession. (Not long after, the senator posted a photo of Trump—hunched, tired, stone-faced—shaking Graham’s hand. In the caption, Graham reiterated his “proud” support of Trump.)
https://www.thebulwark.com/p/inside-tru ... medium=web
Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

he wasn't avoiding a hand shake, she came right at him... he had no time to avoid her
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:57 pm

he wasn't avoiding a hand shake, she came right at him... he had no time to avoid her

....exactly. And he sure did want to...

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:26 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:51 pm

harris has 226 likely electoral votes while trump has 219. Need 270 to win. States considered most in play:
- Arizona - 11
- Georgia - 16
- Michigan - 15
- Nevada - 6
- North Carolina - 16
- Pennsylvania - 19
- Wisconsin - 10
Arizona, Georgia, and North Carolina probably go to Trump. Michigan, Wisconsin, and let's say Nevada (Nevada probably doesn't matter though other than making the final vote tally closer), all go to Harris. So that's 262 for Trump and 257 for Harris. PA looks to be the decider this time around, winner take all.

And based on what I see on my informal take when I drive to work (live in Montgomery County, drive into Bucks County, two of the 4 suburban counties that ring Philly) you see the same kind of signs that were there in 2016 in terms of the Trump folks getting excited. 82k was Biden's margin in PA in 2020, 44k was Trump's in 2016. This state is clearly up for grabs and will be extremely close.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:22 pm

- Arizona - 11
- Georgia - 16
- Michigan - 15
- Nevada - 6
- North Carolina - 16
- Pennsylvania - 19
- Wisconsin - 10
Arizona, Georgia, and North Carolina probably go to Trump. Michigan, Wisconsin, and let's say Nevada (Nevada probably doesn't matter though other than making the final vote tally closer), all go to Harris. So that's 262 for Trump and 257 for Harris. PA looks to be the decider this time around, winner take all.

And based on what I see on my informal take when I drive to work (live in Montgomery County, drive into Bucks County, two of the 4 suburban counties that ring Philly) you see the same kind of signs that were there in 2016 in terms of the Trump folks getting excited. 82k was Biden's margin in PA in 2020, 44k was Trump's in 2016. This state is clearly up for grabs and will be extremely close.
MI, WI, and PA is a nice round number

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:22 pm

- Arizona - 11
- Georgia - 16
- Michigan - 15
- Nevada - 6
- North Carolina - 16
- Pennsylvania - 19
- Wisconsin - 10

You're probably right.

I would say the kari lake candidacy hurts trump in AZ and the mark robinson candidacy hurts him in NC. How much will calling Kemp and Raffensperger names hurt him in GA?

How much will Gaza hurt harris in MI?

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:18 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:57 pm

Wouldn’t you? He probably thought she was gonna spray some nerve agent on him or something :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:37 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:18 pm
Wouldn’t you? He probably thought she was gonna spray some nerve agent on him or something :lol:
Agent Orange? Looks like he'd already been exposed to as much of that as David Banner was to gamma rays. :D

Caribbean Hen
Level3
Level3

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:45 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:37 pm

Agent Orange? Looks like he'd already been exposed to as much of that as David Banner was to gamma rays. :D
Well her first attempt missed ya know
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:02 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:45 pm
Well her first attempt missed ya know
You seem a little upset about how the debate went. Would you like to talk about it?

I'm not Dr. Bench but I can try.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »