Beckham..

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
NDSUFREAK
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State
A.K.A.: Chupacabra

Beckham..

Post by NDSUFREAK »

....anyone watch the futbol game on ESPN? I sure did and I enjoyed it. I just can't wait until the world cup returns so I can watch some better international futbol!

*My tennis instructor is British and a huge Chelsea fan and he has gotten me in the habit of using Futbol.
SuperJon
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty
A.K.A.: awesome

Re: Beckham..

Post by SuperJon »

Soccer haters are going to say this was a let down because he didn't do much. However, the excitement that was there for a US soccer game was awesome.

I'll admit I was semi-annoyed by all of the celebrities, etc, but Jennifer Love Hewitt had the best interview in terms of becoming a fan. She said she just started paying attention because he was coming. She'd never been to a game before live and was loving the way the crowd was and the atmosphere. She's now a fan of the game of soccer. Drew Carey said the same thing (he's a huge soccer fan now, season tickets for the Galaxy for the past few years, etc). I dare anyone to go to a game and not have fun.
NDSUFREAK
Level2
Level2

Post by NDSUFREAK »

SuperJon wrote:Soccer haters are going to say this was a let down because he didn't do much. However, the excitement that was there for a US soccer game was awesome.

I'll admit I was semi-annoyed by all of the celebrities, etc, but Jennifer Love Hewitt had the best interview in terms of becoming a fan. She said she just started paying attention because he was coming. She'd never been to a game before live and was loving the way the crowd was and the atmosphere. She's now a fan of the game of soccer. Drew Carey said the same thing (he's a huge soccer fan now, season tickets for the Galaxy for the past few years, etc). I dare anyone to go to a game and not have fun.
yeah, i would love to go to a game. what were the announcers talking about a club getting together in Minneapolis?
SuperJon
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Liberty
A.K.A.: awesome

Post by SuperJon »

They were joking. Audriy Shevchenko's dad or something was a pitcher for the twins, or his wife's dad was, or something like that. His wife is American.
AppGuy04
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Appalachian State
A.K.A.: Resident Apphole

Post by AppGuy04 »

The fact that over 300,000 Beckham jerseys have already been sold should tell you something, and at $80 a piece, thats no small feat.

I watched the game, and I'm not a huge soccer fan. If some of these big stars start coming here, who knows, we may see soccer replace hockey as the 4th sport.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

AppGuy04 wrote:The fact that over 300,000 Beckham jerseys have already been sold should tell you something, and at $80 a piece, thats no small feat.

I watched the game, and I'm not a huge soccer fan. If some of these big stars start coming here, who knows, we may see soccer replace hockey as the 4th sport.
I think, with Beckham's arrival, it just did.

And not a moment too soon!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AppGuy04
Level2
Level2

Post by AppGuy04 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
AppGuy04 wrote:The fact that over 300,000 Beckham jerseys have already been sold should tell you something, and at $80 a piece, thats no small feat.

I think, with Beckham's arrival, it just did.

And not a moment too soon!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
With front row seats going for 2 grand a piece, you might be right
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

If it didn't happen when the biggest futbol star of all time hit the biggest market NASL (Pele joining the Cosmos), it's not going to happen now. There's a better chance of curling or luge replacing hockey than soccer.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AppGuy04
Level2
Level2

Post by AppGuy04 »

SuperHornet wrote:

If it didn't happen when the biggest futbol star of all time hit the biggest market NASL (Pele joining the Cosmos), it's not going to happen now. There's a better chance of curling or luge replacing hockey than soccer.
You may be right in the long haul, but right now, MLS is getting alot more attention than hockey has in decades
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

SuperHornet wrote:

Let's not get carried away. I can assure you there are more soccer fans than curling or luge fans in the US.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote:

You can't possibly be comparing the early 70's to what's happening in today's sports marketplace. Hockey has become so irrelevant in America that 98% of the population probably couldn't tell you who just won the Stanley Cup. It's long been passed by NASCAR, and now most likely soccer. In Phoenix, you can't get 18,000 for a professional hockey game, but you can get 75,000 for a soccer game between two teams that AREN'T EVEN FROM HERE!!!

Hockey is toast....it was on it's deathbed BEFORE the strike....the strike just cemented the deal.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
NDSUFREAK
Level2
Level2

Post by NDSUFREAK »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SuperHornet wrote: If it didn't happen when the biggest futbol star of all time hit the biggest market NASL (Pele joining the Cosmos), it's not going to happen now. There's a better chance of curling or luge replacing hockey than soccer.

You can't possibly be comparing the early 70's to what's happening in today's sports marketplace. Hockey has become so irrelevant in America that 98% of the population probably couldn't tell you who just won the Stanley Cup. It's long been passed by NASCAR, and now most likely soccer. In Phoenix, you can't get 18,000 for a professional hockey game, but you can get 75,000 for a soccer game between two teams that AREN'T EVEN FROM HERE!!!

Hockey is toast....it was on it's deathbed BEFORE the strike....the strike just cemented the deal.
When I was in Phoenix in Feb I almost went to a Coyotes game.....but went out to eat instead. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

NDSUFREAK wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

When I was in Phoenix in Feb I almost went to a Coyotes game.....but went out to eat instead. :lol:
Good choice, young man.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SuperHornet wrote: If it didn't happen when the biggest futbol star of all time hit the biggest market NASL (Pele joining the Cosmos), it's not going to happen now. There's a better chance of curling or luge replacing hockey than soccer.

That's not hockey being toast. That's just ECB.

BTW, I was being facetious about curling and luge. My point was that soccer will NEVER be a major sport in this country. The Big Three are too big, and even though hockey is a distant fourth, the response to it in the Northeast especially will preclude soccer from ever attaining that pinnacle except possibly among pre-HS girls.

And, yes, I WILL take the POV that the '70s has an effect on the '00s. There is no way in heck that Beckham will EVER achieve the greatness of Pele, and he didn't do much in a league that had more airplay.

Go MIGHTY DUCKS!!!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AppGuy04
Level2
Level2

Post by AppGuy04 »

Beckham debut sets ESPN high for game with MLS team

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperJon wrote:Soccer haters are going to say this was a let down because he didn't do much. However, the excitement that was there for a US soccer game was awesome.
I stand by what I said before, but this argument is bogus, too. (No, not you, SuperJon.) What do these idiots expect in 12 minutes, 10 goals? It's not like the US was playing freaking Kuwait. Beckham did about as well as could have been expected for a guy nursing an ankle inury and playing 12 minutes out of a 90-minute match.

THAT's the big reason that soccer has always failed and will continue to fail in the US. It's not that the athletes suck. It's this country's spoiled expectations fostered by football (particularly the Arena League) and DH-enhanced baseball. Americans, for the most part, can't handle a 0-0 draw that European fans go giddy about.

That was the point behind my previous rant. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about that. That and no hot chicks, particularly with the demise of the WUSA.

AppGuy04
Level2
Level2

Post by AppGuy04 »

SuperHornet wrote: That and no hot chicks, particularly with the demise of the WUSA.
What are you talking about? They showed Posh and Eva more than they did the game :roll:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Posh is an old hag compared to Longoria, and both have nothing on Chastain and Mrs. Nomar.

Besides, when was the last time you saw Eva rip off her shirt on the field?

:lol: