Coronavirus COVID-19

Political discussions
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:27 pm Washington schools closed for the remainder of the year. I knew this was coming back in March.
The remaining of the the current school year or all of 2020?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:18 pm
Cap'n is worried with his heart conditions
He'll be fine. It's just the flu amirite?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

No wonder so many people are catching the virus in the ECB. :ohno:

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Captain WHITE. :lol:
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm No wonder so many people are catching the virus in the ECB. :ohno:

Hey. ECB is always the best and most woke....right behind Cali
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:36 am What's so special about a "surgical" nurse when dealing with COVID patients? Ventilation?
I think it's the highly skilled aspect. Surgical nurses can provide standard level of care but also are trained for ICUs whereas an OR nurse has basic skills plus skill to assist during operations. In this instance, it's the experience with critical care patients and the equipment. I think. I'd ask my sister but she's working.
Surgical nurses are qualified to pee in the butt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:27 pm Washington schools closed for the remainder of the year. I knew this was coming back in March.
I get cancelling through May or June, but announcing at this point that aren’t starting up in the fall is retarded.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:41 pm
I get cancelling through May or June, but announcing at this point that aren’t starting up in the fall is retarded.
I'm pretty sure he means the rest of this school year not calendar year.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

JFC. How dumb is it to say this?

St. Louis Federal Reserve Head says Americans should be tested for COVID-19 daily and forced to display a badge on their clothing with the result.
And no I don't follow QAnon but this popped up in my twitter feed from someone else.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:28 am
SDHornet wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:41 pm

They don't have a serious case count for the US...unless they moved it to a different page.

And yeah, Fuck China.
Why do I see it and you don't? :suspicious:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
It's not there anymore for the USA. They use to have it but took it down. Maybe those numbers aren't being reported?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:43 am
kalm wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:37 am

Berenson was heavily criticized in his reefer madness 2.0 book for confusing causation with correlation.

Why wouldn’t you model based on deaths? What other data is available? :suspicious:
I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a problem with going backwards to get to beds/ventilators from deaths, but clearly there were several other factors that were way off. I think the biggest one is the success of shelter at home. We are just now seeing the success of it. Models developed a month ago did not have that factored in, IMO.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:48 pm

So basically they are reverse engineering...err I should say reverse modeling based on deaths. Yeah time to work up a new algorithm for the model or just not use this one anymore.
Berenson was heavily criticized in his reefer madness 2.0 book for confusing causation with correlation.

Why wouldn’t you model based on deaths? What other data is available? :suspicious:
Early on it made sense when there was limited data, but obviously going backwards to plug into the model to make a new prediction isn't working. I don't know what they should do to fix the model, but what they are currently doing is clearly not even close to actual numbers being seen.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:43 am
SDHornet wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:40 pm

I'd have to look it up, but just a few weeks ago the concern was testing here in the US. That clearly isn't the issue now, plus the US is bigger than both those countries (roughly 5.5x bigger than Italy, 4x than Germany). CA is pretty much only testing if you have symptoms, not sure how many states are doing similar testing strategies but that is also impacting the per capita numbers.

Agree with you about the Russia number, but noticed they shot up there quick when they were reporting almost nothing just few weeks ago.
Testing is still an issue in many states, like Arizona where only bad cases can get tested still.
So it's like CA. :thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:53 pm JFC. How dumb is it to say this?

St. Louis Federal Reserve Head says Americans should be tested for COVID-19 daily and forced to display a badge on their clothing with the result.
And no I don't follow QAnon but this popped up in my twitter feed from someone else.
Why is anyone asking a Federal Reserve Head what to do about the Chinese Flu? May as well ask an auto mechanic, or a janitor. :dunce:

I think the most discouraging thing about this is the amount of people going full retard over it. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:06 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:53 pm JFC. How dumb is it to say this?

Why is anyone asking a Federal Reserve Head what to do about the Chinese Flu? May as well ask an auto mechanic, or a janitor. :dunce:

I think the most discouraging thing about this is the amount of people going full retard over it. :ohno:
Kind of like Berenson? I know you engineers like linear models. This is not a linear calculation.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:19 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:06 pm

Kind of like Berenson? I know you engineers like linear models. This is not a linear calculation.
Berenson is a former NYT reporter questioning what this model is spitting out. And engineers deal with plenty of non-linear models, not really sure where you were going with that one.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:14 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:19 pm

Berenson is a former NYT reporter questioning what this model is spitting out. And engineers deal with plenty of non-linear models, not really sure where you were going with that one.
And I know at least two mechanics who grasp this better than both you and Berenson. :lol:

Engineers tend toward linear thinking which has some huge advantages...just not in this case.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Shocker!

Why can’t the libtard media just leave Trump alone!

:lol:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-rep ... nufacturer
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Early on it made sense when there was limited data, but obviously going backwards to plug into the model to make a new prediction isn't working. I don't know what they should do to fix the model, but what they are currently doing is clearly not even close to actual numbers being seen.
Somebody is not looking at the underlying assumptions that are built into the base simulation is my opinion.

GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:49 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:14 pm

And I know at least two mechanics who grasp this better than both you and Berenson. :lol:

Engineers tend toward linear thinking which has some huge advantages...just not in this case.
Some do, some don't. :coffee:

Some of us don't even know where the box is anymore. :poke:

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:56 pm
CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:28 am
Why do I see it and you don't? :suspicious:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
It's not there anymore for the USA. They use to have it but took it down. Maybe those numbers aren't being reported?
What are you looking at? Did you open the link above? Are you looking at the list of countries? :wall:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:58 am Shocker!

Yeah, that cunt, Mika Brez....somethingpolish, ran with this yesterday.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

So blacks in Louisiana and Illinois make up around 70% of deaths in those states.
And this prompted a Fox News anchor to interview a doc to ask if race has anything to do with the virus.
:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:55 am
kalm wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:58 am Shocker!

Yeah, that cunt, Mika Brez....somethingpolish, ran with this yesterday.
I don't care for her either but this was so unbelievably goddamned obvious. :lol:

Side note... That little conservative southern belle Elise Jordan does make it move a little

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

She's got man hands.